Lou IV

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Lou IV

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:57 pm

I retired this plane, my first 21c purchase, shortly after getting BBI's Killer P-51 several years ago. I figured it was now obsolete as the BBI offering was being much better.

Today, i pulled Lou out of mothballs and decided to hang it back up. Shortcomings aside, i just love the paint scheme. It looks so right on the Mustang.

Welcome home, Lou. :)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Lou IV

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Aferg, Lou was my first as well :D I totally agree with the paint scheme! I like it so much that I bought a second on off e-bay last summer. My first hangs in the boys bedroom, and the second in my workshop.

I will never forget walking into TRS on a Star Wars mission and finding Lou IV. That day changed my toy collecting forever :D
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:28 pm

I never saw this one at TRU. They had sold out by the time I found out about them.

Funny I didn't get around to buying one until a few years ago. I think it might have been the last 1:18 Mustang I did buy online for under $40.

I love the paint scheme on this. I still don't know how some would think the OD green over the silver could be mistaken for blue when there's plenty of color photos around. http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/photo ... user/54449
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:49 pm

i wouldn't want Lou to be my only Mustang. Not because of the model but because the scheme, while attractive, is fairly atypical of Mustangs. I like generic looking planes too. But as an additional Mustang, i love it. Reminds me of when i was a kid looking at my WWII books....the colour pic of Lou IV was always one of my favourites.

I just read about the colour debate today. I don't even know why there is a debate. Just using common sense...why would it be painted some obscure shade of blue, which would not be readily available, when OD green was plentiful and it makes perfect sense to paint fighter planes that colour?

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 pm

BLACKSNAKES wrote:Aferg, Lou was my first as well :D

I will never forget walking into TRS on a Star Wars mission and finding Lou IV. That day changed my toy collecting forever :D
Ditto
Todd

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 pm

The Lou IV was actually one of my last piece that I got for my collection.

My first was a Spinach 109. I picked up a beater L IV about a year after I started collecting then a mint in box about a year after that.

Then I switched into hoarder mode. :shock:

Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:17 am

Yeah, but yours is the good kind. :lol:
At least you don't collect rats :shock: .... http://smallscreenscoop.com/hoarders-ra ... de/312790/

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 am

Obviously the 'Closet Maid 4 drawer kit' while suitable for every room,
is a non-starter as far as 1/18 collections go!

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:38 am

Mad Sam wrote:Obviously the 'Closet Maid 4 drawer kit' while suitable for every room,

Not sure what you are saying here .

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:46 am

Dauntless wrote:Yeah, but yours is the good kind. :lol:
At least you don't collect rats :shock: .... http://smallscreenscoop.com/hoarders-ra ... de/312790/
I just saw that episode last night. He had over a thousand rats in his home. It got so bad that he had to move out and sleep in a shed he called his office.

Pickelhaube, I hope for the sake of your boxes that you have up in the attic that you don't have either roaches or silverfish hanging around. They will gradually eat right through those unless you set down some bait traps or poison to keep those critters at bay. You see the roaches love to feast on the glue that holds them together while the silverfish like to nibble on the printed images that adorn the outside of every box. I had to resort to buying large air tight plastic totes to help conceal the boxes/packages inside along with a few moth balls as added protection. It cost me a small fortune but now I don't have to worry about it anymore. Thick trash bags may work too but tend to become very brittle after being subjected to a hot and humid attic for a few years. That's if you live in the far south of course. Just my two cents.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:55 am

pickelhaube wrote:
Mad Sam wrote:Obviously the 'Closet Maid 4 drawer kit' while suitable for every room,

Not sure what you are saying here .
He's talking about the Closet Maid box in your attic along side all your military packages.

Beeavision
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Beeavision » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 am

LOL!!

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Buckyroo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:04 am

I have an extra Killer and thought about doing a Lou IV repaint. Maybe when I get my Hairless Joe done..........

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:16 am

Someone decided in favor of the blue verses the OD green debate on a 1:1 P-51. I think it looks wrong, but...
http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/su ... 3350.shtml

edit: yikes this crashed and the pilot didn't survive.... My respects.

Believe it or not I found boxes for almost all my 1:18 stuff. Working in a body shop it was easy to get those long weird sizes, plus I have a friend who bought a bunch of 1:18 planes and he gave me all of his boxes. I taped them up so the vermin have a harder time getting to them. Plus if I decide to sell them in an emergency I'm not looking all over the place for boxes. (hopefully that's not going to happen but ya never know these days)

Now if I could just find some for my 1:6 stuff. :?

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 am

pickelhaube - re closet maid -

Just my feeble attempt at humour, thought it was excellent that this was the only other thing in the photographs amid your wall of 1/18.

All the best
Mad Sam

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Mad Sam wrote:pickelhaube - re closet maid -

Just my feeble attempt at humour, thought it was excellent that this was the only other thing in the photographs amid your wall of 1/18.

All the best
Mad Sam

Ohh . I did not even notice the box. There is something in it that is 1/18 scale but I am not sure what it is :oops:

Now it is funny. I thought that you were talking some sort of English slang that I did not understand.

Bee V Termanix comes out about once a month to spray and put down traps but I know he does not go up into the shed attic were those pics are taken.

THAT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED. THANKS FOR THE TIP.
Last edited by pickelhaube on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:14 am

Pickel, put some glue traps up in that storage area. They'll take care of most pests with out pesticides. I was in pest control for 16 years. :wink:

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Back on topic.......... I've had my Lou IV Mustang hanging on a wall along with the 21st Me 109 since I got them.
http://news.webshots.com/photo/11183245 ... 8682vbuoOx
I said a wall because it now is in it's 3rd room.... Den, then my office and now the museum ( some call it mancave) pic is the office.
I've always liked 21st's P-51 and it's paint scheme.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:18 pm

this is bringing back a lot of memories of the early, early days of XD. When it was all new and fresh and there was a whole world of possibiites. They promised all sorts of stuff (even ships!) and we lapped it all up. But then the realities of TRU sales arose and things went downhill, for a time. 21c went into Chapter 11 and all looked bleak.

Then the WM deal came along and it was the second Happy Time for XD. We all know the events that followed. Let's hope there is a third Happy Time in our futures.

Interestingly, TRU originally approached 21c because TRU wanted an exclusive military toy line. 21c proposed XD and TRU accepted. Even after terminating their deal with 21c, TRU still wanted a military toy line. And they have it, in the exclusive 'True Heroes' line. This is more what they wanted in the beginning; inexpensive kids toys, whereas 21c delivered expensive collector toys. We're all glad they did.

I miss you, 21st Century Toys.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

aferguson wrote:I retired this plane, my first 21c purchase, shortly after getting BBI's Killer P-51 several years ago. I figured it was now obsolete as the BBI offering was being much better.

Today, i pulled Lou out of mothballs and decided to hang it back up. Shortcomings aside, i just love the paint scheme. It looks so right on the Mustang.

Welcome home, Lou. :)
My first 1:18 purchase as well, all those years ago :wink: Its been in my attic since 2005, still in its original box with everything after I also retired it after getting the BBI P-51 and subsequent 21c retooled P-51. I'm glad 21c never re-did that scheme on one of their retooled planes, in a sense keeping it "sacred" as their first ever aircraft, but then part of me always wanted to see it done on a retooled plane. Perhaps that is where someone like TKO can come in 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

normandy

Post by normandy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Aferguson, this does bring back many good memories. The best was finding Ground Pounder's site and a community of collectors with the same interests in 1:18th military that I have.
I often sit in my "museum" looking at the my collection of 1:18th in amazement and wondering who Jim Allen is.
Who is this guy that gave us all these military collectibles in various scales? May never find out but I'd like to say Thanks!!!!
May the future bring good fortune to All-GO in all its endeavors.
Normandy.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:56 pm

yes finding GP's site was very important in those early days. I really didn't know much about 21c or toy collecting in general and had it not been for his site, i probably would have abandoned XD shortly after i started collecting it. But i got so many ideas, so much information and so much excitement etc from being on that site that it kept my enthusiasm fired.

I gave up collection 6 inch figures (eg Spawn etc), which i was heavilly into at the time, for XD.

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:17 am

My first too :D Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:43 pm

i set the famous picture of Lou IV as my wallpaper on my pc. Looks real good.

There's a good pic on this site, if anyone wants to do it.

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=6074