Need Help On My 1:18 Winter Stuka

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
memaddog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Need Help On My 1:18 Winter Stuka

Post by memaddog » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I won a German Winter Stuka on e-Bay last week or so that had been displayed by the guy in Excellent Condition with no box and it was. I got it in the mail, but the middle canopy had snapped off. I reglued it back on with no probblem at all. When I came back downstairs the next day, (yesterday) and went to put it all back together (wings and parts) the canopy I glued back on had turned white on the inside, totally freaked me out, have any of you ever heard of that? I am so bummed about it!! Even the gunner pilots legs turned white like some kind of mold grew on the parts, he was still inside the plane along with the pilot when I glued the canopy back on? Any clue as what happenend, I used regular super glue loctite gel, like I have used many times before on simple parts that had snapped off or parts that I wanted to remain glued permanate like the Bread Bags on my German Soldiers and such. Any help would be Great or any ideas, so I don't have this probblem again!!!
Thanks
memaddog

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Super glue will do that with clear plastic.

- Jeff

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Panther F wrote:Super glue will do that with clear plastic.

- Jeff
Yep super glue will do just that or any other CA type glue. I am not sure how or if it can be corrected.

Future floor wax ( liquid ) if brushed on may work if brushed on or dipped. Try a little first . It may be worth a shot.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 pm

super glue will do that to some plastics if you use to much and in humid conditons.

I've gotten rid of it before by painting dullcote over it. Doesn't always work but does on some plastics. Won't help on the clear plastic though.

Try Future...but i don't think it will work. If not you'll have to carefully sand the side with the white on it, with wet and dry paper, to remove the frosting caused by the glue. Then polish it with a very fine wet and dry paper and then toothpaste. Then dip it in Future. That should make it pretty clear again.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by gliderdwm » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 pm

From many years of modeling you learn to put very little on clear plastic glass as the dreaded whiting or clouding happens and it has upset me more than once

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Try some clear floor wax on the glass....but first, try it on some clear plastic you don't need.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone...they are an obstinate lot" -Napoleon

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:08 pm

A Q-tip dipped in rubbing alchohol will clean the fogged canopy if it isn't too bad.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

NightVyper
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NightVyper » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:52 am

it also helps when gluing clear plastics to prevent the fumes from building up. I had to glue a part inside one of my supercobra cockpits but i left the big windows open, and left it in front of a fan.

There is a great tutorial on how it works in beverly hills cop II. I recommend every one should check it out.

edit: Hworth is also right that works sometimes.

edit 2: DO NOT USE ALCOHOL on painted figures or anything painted it will strip them. It is what I use to strip my Warhammer 40k figures because it wont damage the plastic like other solvents will.

memaddog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by memaddog » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks Everyone!!!
Learn something new everyday!!! No matter how old or long you do something!!!
memaddog

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:41 pm

NightVyper wrote:it also helps when gluing clear plastics to prevent the fumes from building up. I had to glue a part inside one of my supercobra cockpits but i left the big windows open, and left it in front of a fan.

There is a great tutorial on how it works in beverly hills cop II. I recommend every one should check it out.

edit: Hworth is also right that works sometimes.

edit 2: DO NOT USE ALCOHOL on painted figures or anything painted it will strip them. It is what I use to strip my Warhammer 40k figures because it wont damage the plastic like other solvents will.
Nightvyper is correct. Alchohol will remove ink (Ink is what is typically used for markings/small pieces/figures and such) and not paint. The key to using CA glue in proximity to clear parts is good ventilation.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

scbvideoboy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by scbvideoboy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 pm

I thought modelers used elmers white glue for clear parts.

norman888
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by norman888 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Never use CA glues on canopies...sorry that advice is a bit too late for you.