We need modern pilots!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

We need modern pilots!

Post by NWarty » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:26 pm

For the last five months, my poor Cat is lonely. Why has it been impossible to obtain modern USN/USAF 1/18 pilots?

In my opinion there's really no proper substitution or kit bash that comes close to a modern day jet jockey (ala survival gear and the HGU-55). Heck, I'd love it if BBi made a run of pilots from the F-16/18 molds and sold them loosely through etailers.

Has anyone tried to cast these? I'd be all for unpainted, resin casts of two pilots to plop into my big turkey.

Where is JSI with their production pilots or prototypes or vapour ware?

Just some thoughts. What do y'all think?

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:35 pm

NWARTY:

I'm calling my JSI dealer on Wednesday concerning my Hobby Master pre-orders. I'll ask about the JSI F-14 pilots. In the past, he knew as much as we do---JSI said they'd be released in 2010.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Mine is lonely, too. :cry:
I don't understand JSI's "no pilot"-politics anyway... :roll:
We still need more new 1/18 aircraft!

YT

Post by YT » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:19 pm

I got tired of waiting, so I made my own. They aren't perfect, but hanging from the ceiling they are close enough for me:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:24 pm

The BBI "Navy Seal Helicopter Crew" figures can work well as pilots. They will need a different helmet, but the figure's body in the green flightsuit with vest is very passable for a fighter pilot.

I use my BBI jet pilots in my F-14, with custom-made helmets from www.brokenarrowtoys.com. I agree, however, that we need modern pilot figures!

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Krevix44
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Krevix44 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

I used two F-16 pilots for now. Left the 16's in there boxes.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:24 pm

I couldn't agree more about needing modern pilots but, and I don't mean to sound cynical, I'm not going to hold my breath...

la817291
Corporal
Corporal

Post by la817291 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:16 pm

So the queation is where th get the modern pilots especially for the F-14.

Does anyone know when would JSI release these F-14 pilots or deck crews? :roll:

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:19 pm

They probably underperformed on their sales from the F-14 that we may never see them. The truth in their lack of quality control may just have scared most investors confidence. Also, using their philosophy towards the Western markets, they may just go ahead and make Eastern Block pilot figures and accessories instead. I am just saying.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 pm

tkjaer21 wrote:They probably underperformed on their sales from the F-14 that we may never see them. The truth in their lack of quality control may just have scared most investors confidence. Also, using their philosophy towards the Western markets, they may just go ahead and make Eastern Block pilot figures and accessories instead. I am just saying.
Sadly, that is true.
Because of JSI's lack of QC, many potential customers canceled their pre-orders and left a lot of F-14s on the shelves.
That's why we might never see any of the models JSI had announced.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 pm

fightin wrote:
tkjaer21 wrote:They probably underperformed on their sales from the F-14 that we may never see them. The truth in their lack of quality control may just have scared most investors confidence. Also, using their philosophy towards the Western markets, they may just go ahead and make Eastern Block pilot figures and accessories instead. I am just saying.
Sadly, that is true.
Because of JSI's lack of QC, many potential customers canceled their pre-orders and left a lot of F-14s on the shelves.
That's why we might never see any of the models JSI had announced.
If that's the case and it is indeed because of the serious QC issues. These aren't the finger print smudge or random drop of glue from the 21C's days. I can't say I'd be sorry to see JSI implode.

YT

Post by YT » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:22 pm

NWarty wrote: I can't say I'd be sorry to see JSI implode.
I don't understand statements like that. Why would we want the only manufacturer in our hobby to fail?

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:26 pm

YT wrote:
I don't understand statements like that. Why would we want the only manufacturer in our hobby to fail?
I agree lets give them some time..
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm

YT wrote:
Because, at the moment, JSI is the only manufacturer spitting out 1/18 items and it would behoove them to maybe be a little more customer conscious. I'm sure the fellas on this board who received faulty Tomcats would agree. It'd be awfully nice if JSI would swallow a little bit of pride and say "we effed up with the Tomcat and we want the community to be aware that we're doing everything possible to deliver you, our valued customers, a top notch product".

Nope, what we got was "What's wrong with the Tomcat? We don't see anything wrong with it" :roll:

Just 10 minutes ago, I was perusing Foxholetoys.com and ran across the loose BBI WWII Navy pilots. Why BBI doesn't do this with their modern pilots is beyond me.

YT

Post by YT » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 pm

NWarty wrote:
Because, at the moment, JSI is the only manufacturer spitting out 1/18 items and it would behoove them to maybe be a little more customer conscious. I'm sure the fellas on this board who received faulty Tomcats would agree.
I understand where you are coming from. Was I happy about spending 1.5 days masking and repainting my new $250 F-14? Heck no. Am I happy to have a 1:18 F-14? Heck yes. It was their first original item and I like it, problems and all and I hope we see more from them. I do not want them or anyone else who feeds my collection to implode, although it would probably make my wife happy.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm happy to have a 1/18 Tomcat as well. Sure, she has some ugly spots and thin legs to stand on, but she still is an amazing model to look at.

JSI also proved that they can do some decent paint schemes. Think about their Corsair, P-38 or Stuka (unsure about the Stuka, I don't have it).

MCalamari
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by MCalamari » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 am

fightin wrote: JSI also proved that they can do some decent paint schemes. Think about their Corsair, P-38 or Stuka (unsure about the Stuka, I don't have it).
The JSI tanks are both awesome! :) No way do I want them to fail, as I'd like a repaint of the Panther and Tiger. And I'm awaiting repaints of the halftracks.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 pm

MCalamari wrote:
fightin wrote: JSI also proved that they can do some decent paint schemes. Think about their Corsair, P-38 or Stuka (unsure about the Stuka, I don't have it).
The JSI tanks are both awesome! :) No way do I want them to fail, as I'd like a repaint of the Panther and Tiger. And I'm awaiting repaints of the halftracks.
Yeah, seems like I forgot to mention their tanks :roll:
It would be very sad to see them fail. I'd love to see some completely new models, as well as some repaints of long-gone 21C aircraft.

But back to topic: yes, it would be nice to have some F-14 pilots and ground crew. But I guess we'll have to wait a bit for them to be released.

VMF115

NSFW

Post by VMF115 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:47 pm

NSFW
We need some females like this one in 1/18th for our tomcats, the model in the flight suit.

also can you find the 1/18th F-16 in the thread?

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/ind ... ded&start=
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!