How important is box art to you??

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
P47faninchicago
Sergeant
Sergeant

How important is box art to you??

Post by P47faninchicago » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

With Allgo toys getting off the ground and likely starting with some limited funds I am curious how imporatnt box art is to 1/18 collectors. I couldn't care less about the boxes but perhaps I am unusual in that respect. Should Allgo spend the money on fancy box art or just pack them in cardboard boxes? How important is box art to you?

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Plain paper bag if it keeps the cost down, I tend to open and display my planes. I will say the later releases from 21st like the 262 night fighter, BBD P-51, Flight 19 Avenger, Flying Tiger P-40, to name a few, had excellent box art that was worthy of displaying on its own.

grunt1
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by grunt1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:32 pm

Not important at all.. As long as the items don't break in shipping then brown paper is fine. I've purchased multiple items from picklehaub and am extremely happy with all of them. They were packed with peanuts in whatever box he had available. Works for me :D I would have thought that the tough luck JSI has had moving the old OMG figures in their shiny new boxes would be evidence enough of how the buyers feel.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:43 pm

I could care less. Pack it in styrofoam and a brown paper bag and I'd been happy as long as it arrives in one piece and unbroken.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:47 pm

Not important at all. Just keep it safe and simple if it helps keep the price down.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:00 pm

I think the JSI F-14 provides my best example: very simple box art, but a safely-packed item :wink:

I did like the 21c box art and saved the unique special edition boxes such as what came with my "Rall" Bf-109G, my "Flight 19" Avenger, and so on, but box art is not a determining factor for me.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Box art is nice, but not a requirement in the least. And, if no box art translates to slightly lower prices, that works for me.

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Box Art

Post by Rylau » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:16 pm

The only thing that counts is the cost and the detailing of the model.
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:18 pm

Not at all, the perfect packaging would be a like JSI's F-14 with a picture pasted on it of the product. The Website should give you all the views and instructions, information you need of the product.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:19 pm

A plain cardboard box will do, for the figures a zip lock bag will do.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Box art is nice to have,but don't go overboard,if it adds significantly to the cost of the model.
I like the special packaging on the 1/18 "Rall".It stands out from the other Me 109's. :D

Century Wings and Hobby Master both have very nice packaging.
You can open the top flap,and see the model displayed in a clear plastic cradle.

maritime96
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by maritime96 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Could care less about the box art, It's what is inside that counts for me. Brown box would be just fine.
"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the
government fears the people you have liberty."
--Thomas Jefferson

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:49 pm

Put me down for caring less as well. :wink:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:58 pm

All of my boxed are piled in a corner of my attic, so what's on them is of little consequence.

I'd settle for simple packaging with perhaps a B/W illustration/photo of the piece inside plus descriptive text and an easy-to-open top allowing you to peer inside and scope out the model before buying (if some end up going to mortar shops - obviously you can't peek into an online box). If they all are sold online, anything more than utilitarian is a waste.

bigriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by bigriver » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:10 pm

I agree with everyone above for the most part ,but there seems to be 2 types of collectors out there,one that takes them out and displays them and the others that wants to make sure the box stays in perfect condition so the value never goes down..I do both and like a nice box to look at if I cant take it out and display them.
Mighty ships of war!

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:35 pm

The toy is all I care about. Toss the boxes in the trash.
Good trades: C00per, pcb122605, digger, vulgarvulture X2, General Blasto X2, Light.Inf.Scout, V2 Man, Sentinel, xddave, grunt1

[img]http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/230/230828/folders/190465/2439227TAMBOSIGsmall.JPG[/img]

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:01 pm

I do not care about the box at all, as long as the product is safe.
However, if AG does sell at retail, there is no way they can have plain boxes with no windows. They would have to package them in a typical window box, or the much better flap box like JSI.

Jesse James

Post by Jesse James » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Box art isn't where the majority of costing comes from in packaging though... There's some development costs, but really 21st's stuff was pretty tame in that realm. The style of the package, be it a solid box, or window packaging and things, tends to drive the cost up a bit more.

Lots of toy lines do both styles of packaging and do just fine with both for different reasons, so I don't think window/flap designs are a necessity by any means. Is there some dynamic display to the vehicle in the window boxes? Not likely, so I think it's been somewhat wasteful with the past products myself.

Look at a window-boxed toy from another company sometime you're at the store though, and see they're trying to sell a play idea somewhat with that packaging, whereas most all the 1:18 stuff I can think of was basically just selling you something in a box, and the window was completely unnecessary (to me... I know some guys like to look the stuff over). There weren't pilot figures in scrambling poses with a decoed background of a carrier's flightdeck with explosions and stuff.
http://www.JediDefender.com Bringing Balance to the Force
http://www.FFURG.com The Ultimate Customizing Resource.
Now Hasbro, make us some Head Sculpt & Endor Uniform variations! The new Rebel Fleet Trooper gets the JJ Seal of Approval Though!

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:00 am

OHNOES I GOT TEH DOUBEL POST BLUES AGIN DAD
Last edited by [CAT]CplSlade on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:30 am

I know some folk want nice boxes as well, and not to be rude or anything, but I've always found that a bit strange. Collections still in boxes always look more like a 1:1 diorama of a hobby shop rather than a display of military collectibles. Since most of the aircraft are broken down, you don't see the full beauty of the plane. Some of the armor is that way, too.

I can understand if its a space issue, and having them in the box is like a placeholder for that future day when you finally can afford to add an extra room and display everything properly in your Cave of Machismo. I'm currently doing that with my VW stuff. Some of it is perishable in the hands of a 3-yr-old so into hiding it goes.

To those of you who have no plans to ever remove a vehicle from its packaging, what do you think motivates you to collect this way? How do you perceive what you have and the proper way to display it or even store it away from sight as we know some of you out there do. You guys are nuts like that guy in the UK who collects Simpsons' paraphenalia. :P No, seriously. Though honestly, I'm glad some of you are like that because it ensures that there will be a future supply of rare old toys from back in the 90's/00's for our grandchildren/great-grandchildren to find in antique shops and flea markets. Could you imagine seeing 1/18 21C planes appearing on "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS?

I know part of my display motivation is the opportunity to take visitors on a "tour" of all my plastic crap - since a lot of them are friends of my young daughters and/or their parents (birthday parties/play dates provide a decent stream of people looking to fill time while awaiting play's end). Since most of them seem to lack even a rudimentary knowledge of military history prior to Desert Storm, the stuff on display gives them a visual aid that they can compare with what they know - and having a (for me) 1/32 Elefant next to an Abrams, they can relate to it. The aircraft show them WWII was more than just Mustangs and "that German plane, you know the one with the swastika and crosses and stuff, and that other one with the red dots on it that those angry Chinese people flew." I keed, I keed. Well, maybe just a little.

This post has reminded me that I need to set money aside for an A-10 in 1/32. I think I'd like to do it as 53rd Wing stationed at Eglin as that was 50 miles down the highway from me growing up. In fact, if I decide to move into post-WWII aircraft, I'm going to collect within the confines of what was available to both Eglin and Pensacola NAS (which gives me access to the Blue Angels and the complement of the U.S.S. Lexington.) Hey, is anyone familiar with the Curtiss NC-4? That thing would have an 84" wingspan in 1/18 scale. That is 7 feet. How big a box would that take? YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:34 am

I think that if All Go is to market their products strictly through e-tailers then they should keep the packaging simple since the products won't be on store shelves for customers to look at. On the other hand, if they intend to market them through retailers then I guess more attention has to be paid to the packaging to attract customers.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:52 am

Our design firm was hired to build the logo, develop the brand and create the box art.

First let me say that the box design is different in that yes, by marketing on-line and not at mass retail the design and complexity is not as critical. Or better said it's critical but the approach can be different and in this case more simple. Simple= easier to make from release to release = cheaper = more money for All-Go to make new projects. So Check. ;)

I will elaborate since perhaps I am in a very unique position being that I have built a 15 year business around establishing brands, both for mass retail and for niche markets. Also given that I know much about our hobby and All-Go itself. Please know I LOVE design and marketing so I find this topic fun. I hope this knowledge and perspective sheds some light.

1. Brand is ALWAYS important. This means visuals, the colors, the tone of any piece. IT says hey we are professional, we under stand our customers. Malcom Forbes is quoted: A company's brand and logo is the single most important investment it can make.

Just ask Apple, Ford, Target, Delta Airlines, Ferrari, Coke, At&T if their logos have any real value or are worth anything. Case in point: Did you know that a while back when Ford needed to borrow money they needed to front some collateral. The loan was something close to a billion dollars. They put up only 2 things. The rights to the logo for the Ford Oval logo, and the Mustang logo. The loan went through and a billion dollars was loaned against 2 very recognized logos.

2. Logos only become recognized by being put on boxes, products, ads, and virtually anything they can. It's called getting impressions. and the more you do it the more exposure your brand receives. the more it is worth and starts to mean something. Good looking boxes with branding is a GOOD thing and does more than you might think. It establishes a company. it sets it apart from competition simply by looking better or different.

3. True there are different options when you don't have to deal with Mass market and you do direct sales. There are also other future markets to consider. Plain boxes I agree deliver planes just as good as printed ones. But- taking just a tiny tiny bit more effort makes a bigger impact and one that is not easily measured. It's something that is organic and takes on a life of it's own and becomes something so much more than color, shape, and the cost to design it the first time.

Design, packaging and marketing is a fun topic and one that I am actually happy to be part of building. When you see the new box art it might make some sense to you. The design is built to be easily and quickly modified to reflect the product inside so that there is a small degree of customization to satisfy but uniformity across the product brandscape. It's effective, attractive, (VERY similar to the website.) and will instantly stand apart and be recognized as an All-Go product and hopefully that will come to mean: Value, Quality, and Excitement.

Fun topic. Rest assured the box art and branding efforts are in good hands.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for the intel on the packaging. I'm sure that whatever All-Go comes up with regarding packaging their products it will be easily recognized. Can't wait to see the outcome.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 am

TKO any news on the Figures, are we going to see new Figures or just repaints?
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:45 am

I have not heard anything about the figure line. I know that there have been discussions about those but I have not yet been part. Sorry. I will let you guys know if I learn anything.