1/18 P-40 Warhawk question

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1/18 P-40 Warhawk question

Post by fightin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:28 am

Hi!

I am thinking of buying a 1/18 21st Century Toys P-40 Warhawk.
For some reason I can't really make friends with the "Flying Tigers"-version (amongst others because of the missing wing decals).
I range between the Pearl Harbor-version and the one from Langley Field. I'd prefer the Langley-Warhawk, but it's pretty expensive.

So I wanted to ask you if it is worth the extra bucks and how good the PH-paint scheme is.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Buckyroo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: 1/18 P-40 Warhawk question

Post by Buckyroo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:30 am

fightin wrote:Hi!

I am thinking of buying a 1/18 21st Century Toys P-40 Warhawk.
For some reason I can't really make friends with the "Flying Tigers"-version (amongst others because of the missing wing decals).
Badcat has the AVG wing decal you can buy along with other Flying Tiger Decals, if cost and detail are factors to be considered. If detail is more important, then you can look into SkyWorks for the most accurate detail and varied paint schemes. Other than that I would think that the level of quality on all P-40s from 21st is basically equal and well done for the cost. Just my $.02

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:42 am

When the P-40 first came out it had peel and stick type markings but the latest one I bought about a year ago had true decals for it.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Tinman
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Tinman » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:50 pm

I never got a P-40 either until recently. After a lot of consideration, I got the Langley Field version. I like the colors (red spinner, cool tail markings, etc.). You might also want to look at the desert camo (Free French?) one.

scobot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by scobot » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:26 am

I got a couple of sky captain versions , I filed them away but recently got one out and quite enjoy it - even though its a P-40N in the film :roll:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:54 am

Worth the extra money is a matter of opinion. If you really want the Langley Field version, go for it. All the P-40s use the same tooling, so you will not be missing anything there. A word of caution, however, on the Langley plane: it also has the blue circles on the wings like the Flying Tigers variant, the US insignia being applied as stickers. The Pearl Harbor P-40s both have pretty basic paint schemes, but do have nice weathering and look good.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:27 am

Alright. Are these stickers included or do I have to buy them separately?

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:30 am

There should be waterslide decals included, thats what I found in mine.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

trex0770
Corporal
Corporal

Post by trex0770 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 am

My AVG P-40 had white RoC star sticker stickers that you overlayed the blue circles with to make the proper AVG markings.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 am

Alright, thanks for the heads-up.
As I said before, I'm thinking of getting the Langley version, but it's about $ 230, shipped. The shipping charges are almost $ 50, which make the model really expensive! It isn't available here in Europe, so I'll have to order it from the US.

fly-dk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by fly-dk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 am

Hi Fighting - Have you searched on ebay.de ?

I was looking for a P-40 on Ebay.de a few weeks ago, and a German seller had (as far as I can remember) the Pearl Harbor, the Flying Tigers and the Pacific War versions costing about 60.00 Euro.

I can´t remember if he had the Langley version.

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:52 am

Yep I know. These can be found very easily in some German shops. But if you're looking for a particular model (like the Langley version), the only thing you can do is order it from the US or (if you're lucky) China or the UK. And believe me - the shipping costs are deadly.

snake

Post by snake » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:31 am

fightin wrote:Yep I know. These can be found very easily in some German shops. But if you're looking for a particular model (like the Langley version), the only thing you can do is order it from the US or (if you're lucky) China or the UK. And believe me - the shipping costs are deadly.
Oh, I believe you alright. :cry:

It does seem like there are not very many European collectors of 1/18.

Partly due to traditional scale preference,space,and also shipping costs.IMO.

Always know if a European has one of these,they are quite serious about that model.

Good for you fightin.

As you are probably only going to get one of these,I would say go for the one you want the most. :wink:

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:39 am

snake wrote:
Oh, I believe you alright. :cry:

It does seem like there are not very many European collectors of 1/18.
In fact, there are not many 1/18 collectors around here.
A major reason might be that many models are only available in the US and are not being released here.
Adding the high shipping costs, hardly anybody here collects these models seriously.