POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:32 pm

So does anyone have any tips on taking the cockpit section off for re-packing? I've got to bring it back to my place after the holidays, and it's simply too big to put in my car assembeled
U.S.N.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:48 pm

I slowly wiggled mine until I got the seam where it meets the body to open slightly then placed a thin piece of metal like a butter knife in the gap. Once there I only had to pry it slightly for it to separate from the body.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Excellent review NWarty.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this model.

And because of these points,I personally chose to cancel my pre orders.

No way this model should have ever left the factory looking like this.

I will wait for the second release.

Coreyeagle48

embarassed

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:13 pm

Greetings

If you are actually embarassed to let people see a model in your collection there's something wrong, lol. It is after all just a model, it's not like a future wife with no teeth or something like that. I just found that statement a little amusing.

I don't know what to think about the paint personally. The paint application is good, except some people question the weathering. I actually like the idea behind the weathering, it was just overdone. I do think the finish looks better in person than pictures show. Pictures seem to make it look worse than it actually is, in my opinion. Maybe it's because the two grays contrast so much, I'm not sure.

Everyone keeps saying how the model shouldn't have left the factory like this. Well, if JSI hadn't wanted it to leave the factory, they wouldn't have. I honestly think that one of two things happened 1.) This is what they wanted and they think it is fine the way it is or 2.) They realized the paint application didn't work out, but didn't want to go back in the run and fix it.

This has happened many times. Factories don't go back to fix errors on toys. I mentioned my experience with a custom Ertl bank where they spelled the name of the town wrong and refused to refund any money or fix the problem. I think many of these factories do a run, finish the run, and do not go back and fix any problems. It's just the way it is. And this isn't a situation for safety or a life or death matter, it's in reality pieces of plastic assembled to form a replica of an F-14. And it sold out, so they made all their money already and are happy. To them, this is a success, even if it is messed up.

I'm happy with mine the way it is, I'll probably leave it alone. For some odd reason I like something about it as it is now. But whatever floats your boat. It was a nice surprise to get it before Christmas and it has gotten several compliments already. So I'm happy
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Post by snake » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Corey,I tend to agree with many of your points.

But this 'TOY" had a price of $230,plus significant shipping charges.

If JSI is "happy" because they have all sold,doesn't say much for their desire to produce a quality product,that their customers are happy with.

What I have learned from this is that I will never pre order from JSI again.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Snake:

Unfortunately anything this big is going to cost some big bucks, no matter what. The days of big toys for $50 are gone. It's across the board. I happened to be looking for Lego sets the other day for a relative and was amazed at the piece count vs. cost these days. You defintely get less bricks for your buck these days. It is truly amazing what stuff costs these days. And it isn't pretty sometimes.

I do think JSI will learn from their mistake or they will go out of business. People won't want to get what is not advetised. I think even though this sold out, they have gotten the message loud and clear as has Merit, they just will never publicly admit they have gotten the message. Watch and see if future releases are more as they were originally pictured, then we'll see if they have learned.

Time will tell. I think there has been a lesson learned though. However like many things in life, it won't be publicly admitted if it indeed has.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

King O' Fools
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by King O' Fools » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:25 am

This has been beaten to death already, but the F-14 was NOT advertised as a toy. (In fact, Bad Cat's Product Disclaimer for the Spotcat reads thus: "These large, magnificent aircraft are visually impressive collectibles, not toys.")

Also, it 'sold out' in the sense that Merit sold out their allotment to retailers because customers (who were then unaware of the Spotgate fiasco) were placing pre-orders months in advance, but the models haven't sold out yet (Bad Cat has them in stock). And we know that many etailers have implemented an ad-hoc no returns policy because they are expecting an unusually high number of returns due to the Spotgate snafu.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:19 am

Check out the JSI box for this - it even says "Adult Collectible. Not a Toy." on the side and cautions that adult assembly required.
This was never intended to be a "toy"
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

firefox91
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by firefox91 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't think anyone considered this a toy. I certainly didn't and I treat and handle it as a collectible. But that didn't prevent the landing gear from breaking which is really my issue with this product.

I did get an e-mail back from Merit. They said they are going to contact JSI about resolution to the gear problem. They seemed to have ignored the issue with the radar dish and nosecone but I will let it slide for now.

M240guy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Help removing the cockpit.

Post by M240guy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Well I had a serious nose gear issue and got a replacement cockpit assembly. Now I need to remove the defective one from the model without breaking it. Any help? THX!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:37 pm

I knew this was going to be an issue with the landing gear, they needed to go to die-cast or brass. I even contacted JSI and merit about it, months ago at the time Merit said it would OK. I even had "limited input" on the electric tomcat...the weathering well lets just say they went a different route.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

deankleines
Corporal
Corporal

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all new Tomcat owners!

Post by deankleines » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:09 am

Just tried to disassemble and rebox the big bird so that I can take it to show my brothers.

All I can say is - Amazing!!!!!

Please take great care in learning how the gear fold up!!!!!

Did some more despotting on the nose section before I boxed her up.

It looks so good despotted!!!!

Enjoy your birds and handle them with great care!!!

So far, nothing broken!

I will submit a final despotting procedure using the make-up pads very soon.

Please watch for it in that section of the forum.

Thanks to all who have e-mailed me thus far in this new adventure!!!

"We're going ballistic Mav!!!"

Best regards,

Dean Kleines

[email protected]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:16 am

deankleines, I think you just hit on what is actually one of the other positive points about the F-14 - the manner in which it can be assembled and disassembled. The F-14 was truly easy to put together and is sturdy enough when assembled. The cockpit section, nose cone, vertical tails, and missile racks all fit tightly. However, all these parts can then be removed with some ease and stowed back in that wonderful box (though the cockpit section is the most difficult part to remove from the plane). This is a big improvement over some previous 1:18 scale planes which were a bit difficult to assemble and which you could not take apart agin without damaging the model. The 21c ME-262s come to mind...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

M240guy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cockpit help.

Post by M240guy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:56 am

I get that the cockpit is hard to remove. I am trying to do it. Any pointers please?

fightin
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by fightin » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:01 pm

How can I open the entry ladder? I'm unable to...

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Cockpit help.

Post by pcoughran » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:54 pm

M240guy wrote:I get that the cockpit is hard to remove. I am trying to do it. Any pointers please?
Even the regular tomcats have the battery compartment opening under the cockpit. See thatf14guy's pics in the following thread of how to get the canopy section off of the main body using the "battery compartment" door opening. Scroll down about 9 posts to see his pics:

viewtopic.php?t=19178&postdays=0&postor ... &start=200

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:11 am

i hope that tip is helping anyone who needs to get their spotcat apart, the bigger gap once you get the panel off makes it alot easier to get apart, plus you don't have to worry about scratching the exterior. just make sure you don't put the knife in the middle of the gap, but on the sides where the arrows are pointing. otherwise you risk damaging the plastic where it joins in the middle.

FinTomcat
Private First Class
Private First Class

landing gear

Post by FinTomcat » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:56 am

Does anyone have pics of a step by step process on retracting and extending the gear on this beast? A lot of moving parts and I don't want to force anything. Thanks all!
Tally Ho

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: landing gear

Post by pcoughran » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:21 pm

FinTomcat wrote:Does anyone have pics of a step by step process on retracting and extending the gear on this beast? A lot of moving parts and I don't want to force anything. Thanks all!
See:
http://www.merit-intl.com/month/vf-84%20landing.htm

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Well I got my Spotcat yesterday under the tree. It was actually a suprise. My wife came through -quite impressive!
Other than the spots this thing is amazing. The gear are practically a work of art. I realize they appear fragile but the compressing springs and cantilevers are quite amazing.
The thing is big. I took a picture of my 5 year old stand next to it to acentuate the size.
I think I will try one of the spot removing techniques in the future.

I actually ordered the electric version because I didn't think I was going to get one and didn't want to miss out on a big F-14. plus I like lights and electronic accents. It is cool too. But Iwill wait and see on removing the spots because I want to keep it original.

The shipping and packing boxes were impressive as well. This is one Cadillac of a model (minus the spots)
T
Todd

usmcchet9296
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by usmcchet9296 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Got my cat today and overall Im impressed
sure the spots are something I will have to deal with but I think its a small price to pay for such an impressive bird
USMC CHET
John P. Hermesmeyer
92-96 5th Marines 0311
Semper Fi

ww2collecter
Sergeant
Sergeant

MY PICS AND THOUGHTS

Post by ww2collecter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:38 pm

1st off.. pictures dont do this thing justice. Even spotted its amazing. My inlaws and parents were here when I opened it and they were blow away by it. The more u look at it and pick up the detailing, its the best 1:18th I own and I have alot.

Anyway w/ the spots. i used the method w/ the makeup sponge and paint. Looks 1000x's better. You can see where its been done under the right angle and light, but it seems like it adds wear so Im happy with it.

As for displaying, well it wouldnt fit on the shelves I've been using. So it goes on the table I have in the basement. And since the underneath is so neat, its best to put a mirror under it.

First shot opening the box ....

Here are some walk around shots after spot work was done. Plus the mirror really helps show it off

Little off topic..but what does 32ft of 1:18th look like...lol
Image Image

snake

Post by snake » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Great way to display your 1/18,ww2collector. 8)

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:51 pm

WOW THAT LOOKS GOOD MAN!! :D

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:21 pm

do the helmets on the f-14 pilots need to be yellow? I got a couple of the chap mei pilot figures and i kind of like the red helmets they come with. But if they'd look way out of place in the F-14 i guess i'll repaint them..

Did the pilot's helmets always match the colours of their planes? Quite fashion conscious if they did. :lol:
i never met an airplane i didn't like...