POST ALL JSE F-14 QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:10 am

cool, thanks

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:00 am

i've pre-ordered one, it should be here anyday. i look forward to seeing 211's repaint. i've already talked to him in pm about doing me a repaint. i look forward to that. hes got alot talent.

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Latest from Badcat's blog:

" Processing Begins on Standard Tomcats, Special Ed Sold Out

Merit, our distributor for the 1:18 F-14, has notified us that container #4 of the Tomcats was to leave Los Angeles on Monday bound for our warehouse in rainy Northern California. In all, there were four containers to leave China and the last one, is BCAT's. We have begun charging and prepping ship tags in anticipation of these fighters. We will give it a 100% effort working the weekend and O/T to get these out to the folks before Christmas. Since we are clawing through this recession at 50% manpower levels, we need all hands to man the shipping stations in order to get the big job done. Any tracking info you receive will NOT BECOME ACTIVE UNTIL THE NIGHT OF 12/16. Customers can really help us out by not calling or emailing "order status" questions until the end of the week. A flurry of status calls and emails can easily pull all the troops off the packing stations and back into the office for extended periods causing significant shipping delays. Thank you to all who ordered a Tomcat or purchased from us during this holiday season, your business is greatly appreciated.

All Special Edition, Weekend of Heroes, Lighted Tomcats have been sold and shipped, with the last batch leaving yesterday."

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Well it seems with spots and all, the Tomcat is selling pretty briskly. I think that is a good thing since there will now be more incentive to produce the F-15 and Su-27 now.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:43 pm

until all the returns start happening from people who have no idea about the spots problem and are expecting their Tomcat to look pretty much like the official photo released by JSI, which it most certainly does not.

Getting a little tired of some people pretending there is nothing seriously wrong with this model. JSI won't even acknowledge there is anything wrong at all.....they think it looks just fine. :roll:
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:03 pm

aferguson wrote:until all the returns start happening from people who have no idea about the spots problem and are expecting their Tomcat to look pretty much like the official photo released by JSI, which it most certainly does not.

Getting a little tired of some people pretending there is nothing seriously wrong with this model. JSI won't even acknowledge there is anything wrong at all.....they think it looks just fine. :roll:
Well I don't consider myself a Polyanna by any means, yes the spots are terrible and a huge distraction. But overall the model itself is very nice and well constructed. I can overlook the paint scheme because I can correct it. Others can't and that is fine because its their preference. Its not a breaking point for me. I don't think its going to do as badly as you think because most people aren't collectors and don't know one way or another about proper markings or weathering. Hell, some folks will accept the current paint job as cannon.

My complaint is as much as you say its awful and you hate it, why not let those who enjoy it have that as well. Let them enjoy it wrong spots and all, there is no need to be critical of someone because they don't share your point of view.

Nothing personal their Aferg just a point. Now can we find something else to talk about?
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:39 pm

well it bothers me because i don't want to let it be ok that this happened, so subsequent releases have similar or worse problems because JSI (or anyone else making 1/18 planes) will be under the impression it's ok to make big gaffs, charge high prices because 1/18 collectors are so desperate they'll accept pretty much anything with a big giddy smile.

And my comment was mostly directed at JSI who seem to think the Tomcat looks just great and there is nothing wrong with it.

I am light years from being meticulous or particular but these spots are terrible and should never have happened. Someone really dropped the ball at JSI and for it to just be swept under the carpet while they whistle a happy tune is not acceptable.

Truth be known i would love to see gobs of these returned.....so JSI gets a major slap in the face. They deserve it after their 'nothing is wrong with it' comments.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:50 pm

I don't like making comments about anything until I've actually read the email and have seen it myself. It just doesn't sound like something most companies would write off the cuff. Its not good business. When I worked in retail it was always smile and say your sorry and then some other sympathetic BS. You never admitted fault but you also didn't cop an attitude either.

I bought an airsoft gun from China last year and there was a problem with the barrel that prevented the gun from firing properly, the problem was my fault because I tinkered where I shouldn't have. I contacted and spoke to a representative there and they literally bent over backwards to help me sending me manuals and any parts I needed to make the repairs. Not for free of course but they did pay for shipping. I was amazed at how nice they were. Thats why I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

snake

Post by snake » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Does anybody have the dimensions of the shipping box,and the weight of this model?

The reason I ask is that IF I decide to keep this model,I will have to have it shipped to TKO from Canada,and then shipped back to Canada.

That could add up to some SERIOUS shipping costs.
Plus the cost for TKO to repaint this.

I know that Matt from WWII attic has been following this forum.He is the Canadian distributor that I pre ordered mine from.
I will contact him,and see if he could ship directly to TKO.

But if this is going to cost me $200 more than what I should have paid in the first place,I am leaning towards cancelling altogether.

Hell it"s not a "CUSTOM".
It's just being fixed.

I tend to agree with Aferg on this.
This should never have left the factory looking like this.
Anybody that knows anything about the F-14 would have stopped this right away.
Does JSI have such poor quality control that they don't recognize this as a mistake?
That's not very encouraging.
Or did JSI just decide to ship anyway,figuring there was such demand that they would sell anyway?
That's not very encouraging either.

If JSI is satisfied just because they have "sold out" to their dealers,it shows that they have little interest in making a top quality model.

Doesn't bode well for the future releases.

Anyway,if someone could post the dimensions of the shipping box,and it's weight,I would appreciate it.

It will allow me to check on the shipping costs,to see if it is worth getting this 'leopardcat" fixed.

:twisted: [/b]

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:31 pm

snake wrote: Anyway,if someone could post the dimensions of the shipping box,and it's weight,I would appreciate it.
:twisted: [/b]
IIRC

Retail Box Size: 33 x 22 x 10 and 15 #s
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

CessnaDriver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by CessnaDriver » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:01 pm

Well I have a tracking number from Badcat so promise to post pictures ASAP. I am in California so it could be here pretty fast as usual from Badcat.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Snake, i'm guessing $200 would be what it would cost to get TKO to fix it. Shipping from the US to Canada was around $45 iirc and that was being a bit optimistic with weight. Shipping TO the US from Canada will be a fair bit more, without question.

I'm guessing and this is purely a guess, that TKO's repair will cost about $100 figuring his time and materials. It may well be different but that is my guesstimate.

So even if Matt shipped direct to TKO it would still cost you about $150 to repair the spots. Quite possibly more.

I'm not even entertaining sending it away to be fixed. If a solution doesn't present itself that i can do myself, then i'm going to have to cancel my preorder as well. No way i can just live with them.

I really have to feel for the retailers. I suspect these will be returned in healthy numbers. Absolutely shameful. They should have been repainted before they were ever shipped. JSI was just being cheap.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Whats really sad is ppl on ebay are selling it but are not telling ppl about the spots :evil:
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:29 pm

TKO's fee for fixing is $80, which i consider to be very reasonable. So Snake, now you're looking at $130 plus for fixing.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:41 pm

Well I find it funny that there would be many returns made since pictures of the final product have been out for a while now and the paint fiasco is all over the news and not just here.

I for one hope this doesn't happen so that we see more new jets from JSI down the road. It would be nice to add an F-15, Su-27, and maybe if the 1/18 gods are willing and JSI is really listening, an A-10.

Do I hope they do a better job with the paint next time, sure, but I don't hope JSI is killed off from this. That's ridiculous. In all the years that 21st Century was in business and the long delays and mistakes they made, not once did I see them get raked up and down like this.

I'm not defending them by saying this, but as to JSI saying they think its OK, we don't know what context the e-mail sent to them is in. The same person I see claiming to have recieved an e-mail from them stating this is also a person that is known for their flying off the handle then recanting posts and comments. If it was offensive by their culture, of course they will probably respond like they did. If I'm wrong and the e-mail sent to them by this person isn't thought to be an offensive e-mail, it should be posted in full context for us all to read in my opinion. That's what many here have done over the years when they have had a correspondence with one of the manufacturers that they can posts.

Again, not defending JSI, but I'd like to see the whole picture itself before passing judgement. Just like reserving my comments on something before I actually see it in person.... :D
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:46 pm

for all we know, the photos of the 'standard release' version are hoax's too, possibly the pick of the litter, and all the others have darker spots like the lighted versions, lets hope not though.

If my Tomcat arrives, looking like the one Merit released photos of, the standard version, I think I could live with it :)

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:24 pm

aferguson wrote:Snake, i'm guessing $200 would be what it would cost to get TKO to fix it. Shipping from the US to Canada was around $45 iirc and that was being a bit optimistic with weight. Shipping TO the US from Canada will be a fair bit more, without question.

I'm guessing and this is purely a guess, that TKO's repair will cost about $100 figuring his time and materials. It may well be different but that is my guesstimate.

So even if Matt shipped direct to TKO it would still cost you about $150 to repair the spots. Quite possibly more.

I'm not even entertaining sending it away to be fixed. If a solution doesn't present itself that i can do myself, then i'm going to have to cancel my preorder as well. No way i can just live with them.

I really have to feel for the retailers. I suspect these will be returned in healthy numbers. Absolutely shameful. They should have been repainted before they were ever shipped. JSI was just being cheap.
Interestingly enough, the planes would have been cheaper to produce without the spots. I'd rather have a high quality, non-weathered paint finish like on the F-86/MIG-15 and countless other XD releases than the spotty weathering on the Tomcat.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:24 pm

diegomenendez wrote:for all we know, the photos of the 'standard release' version are hoax's too, possibly the pick of the litter, and all the others have darker spots like the lighted versions, lets hope not though.

If my Tomcat arrives, looking like the one Merit released photos of, the standard version, I think I could live with it :)
I've come out of denial - all the production tomcats will look the same. The pics Merit posted were "fixed" as you can pull them into any software and hit the "autocorrect" button and see the spots get darker. Aviatornut said himself that there was no difference between the production version and the special ed at the AWOH show. Badcat blog said all 4 containers of tomcats are here now. There was no time to "fix" or tone down any "later" batches. The batches would have been done already if the containers are all here or almost here.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:28 pm

honestly, from the photos at the Weekend Warriors show, the standard version is much, much lighter than the speacial edition version

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:32 pm

Here is the photo auto corrected

I could live with that, and to ME atleast, it looks much better than the lighted version, MUCH better

Honestly, at this point, I'm just worried how I'm going to keep the canopy in the open position, and the launch bar in the up position (don't want to super glue incase I have to pack it up one day for a move), it might snap right off

STARMAN 352
Corporal
Corporal

Post by STARMAN 352 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:41 pm

You know The Flying Mule has the special lighted version on their site now and the spots are there but not as dark as the others i have seen.
http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:50 pm

STARMAN 352 wrote:You know The Flying Mule has the special lighted version on their site now and the spots are there but not as dark as the others i have seen.
Maybe JSI is onto something - a new Hypnotic Camo pattern - the more you see it the less noticeable it is. Sadly, it doesn't work on me. The Flying Mule pics look just as bad.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Greetings

Wondering if they didn't take the worst of the batch and make them the special editions.

Interested to see if the missing NAVY marking is on the regular versions of the F-14?

Curious to see where all this goes? I want to see what people think of the standard version. Thought the lighted version was a waste anyway when they put the stupid name of the show on it.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:11 pm

Wow, $369? Well, free shipping I guess. :wink:

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/JS-60023WOH09

Interesting disclaimer from the Mule:

In summary, with a little effort, these models make fantastic, attention-grabbing showpieces from a reasonable viewing distance. Up close however, their more toy-like deficiencies will become apparent. We regret that we are unable to accept returns on these item for minor fit and finish issues.
Last edited by vulgarvulture on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vulgarvulture
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by vulgarvulture » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:13 pm

EDIT: --Dreaded double post--