POST JSI F-14 SPOT REPAIR IDEAS HERE

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
SLRFAN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SLRFAN » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:40 pm

I think he means instead of decals he's going to use stencils for the markings.

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:42 pm

yeah, he uses stencils, he has several posts of his work in customs and mods forums. his work is simply amazing.

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Oh ok, well if I like what I see, consider me one of the 15, I have the spare cash to...well...spare, and I'd much rather have VF-41 than VF-84.

PM me with any details you come up with, I am 100% interested

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:50 pm

edit:

I've seen your work before, you're the guy that did the Canadian F-86...yea, I don't think I need to see any photos, I already know I want you to repaint my Tomcat. Can't wait to see how yours turns out, say the price and I got it!

Diego

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:51 pm

well don't take my word for it, but thats what i gathered from his forums.

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:08 pm

thatf14guy wrote:well don't take my word for it, but thats what i gathered from his forums.

Thanks for raising the question and helping to answer it. Let me clarify and confirm what I meant to say. thatf14guy is correct. I paint the airplane for you using a vinyl stencil mask process. What this means is that there are no decals used and I paint the markings on the plane. It's as close to factory tampo printing that you can get and produces a very professional result that will last and can be handled time and time again with no problems.

You will not have to do anything to finish these planes once you get them back from me. It will be a completely finished product. I will take some close up shots of what the finished product will look like once I have mine done. (it's going to be a modeling weekend for sure!) -Goodbye spots!

Hope that helps to clarify a little better.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks for raising the question and helping to answer it. Let me clarify and confirm what I meant to say. thatf14guy is correct. I paint the airplane for you using a vinyl stencil mask process. What this means is that there are no decals used and I paint the markings on the plane. It's as close to factory tampo printing that you can get and produces a very professional result that will last and can be handled time and time again with no problems.
Wait I think I saw your samples of this process a few years back on the MIG-15 or F-86, if that was you, that process does really produce professional quality results.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:32 pm

yeah tko211 your work is just amazing, you got a lot of talent. hook me up next month.

JOC
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Spotted F14

Post by JOC » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:46 am

Let me also know when you will be taking the Spotted 14s for repaint and price.
Thanks
JOC

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:23 am

tko211 wrote:
thatf14guy wrote:well don't take my word for it, but thats what i gathered from his forums.

You will not have to do anything to finish these planes once you get them back from me. It will be a completely finished product. I will take some close up shots of what the finished product will look like once I have mine done. (it's going to be a modeling weekend for sure!) -Goodbye spots!

Hope that helps to clarify a little better.
tko look like good work in the past really got good appraisal... cant wait to see pic..

let me know cost,,

may be in the future i will get this version
http://www.naritafamily.com/Scalemodel/ ... _frame.htm
whats up doc....

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:22 am

I have had a few PM's from members letting me know that they are very supportive and interested in my proposed plan to repaint the F-14's for them. I have started to make the list and I am giving people reservation numbers for the time being. I am starting with 15 planes and I have about 10 reservations made so far.

I plan to do more after the first 15. For now I am only comfortable starting with that. Here are some answers to questions you might have.

1. Q. How much? A. Not certain just yet. I need to get mine and paint it this weekend first to know exactly what the cost and time commitments are.

2. Q. When will you do this? A. Right now my plan is to start full production the day after Christmas and to have them all done and shipped out before Jan. 1st.

3. Q. Will I have to supply the plane to you? A. Yes- Suppling the plane to me essentially is your deposit. I guarantee that you will get your F-14 back looking better than it arrived to me. = no spots!

4. Q. Is it all painted? Do I need decals?
A. Yes your plane will be all paint. No decals are used in my process and you will not need any for yourself. The plane is a finished product when it leaves my house.

5. Q. Is there weathering? How much? A. Right now I am not planning to do weathering on the planes. I have chosen this method because this is a taste issue. The most uniform and guaranteed way to ensure everyone is happy is to do them "clean" looking from the factory. Once you get yours you can add your own level of weathering to suit your own level of desire.

6. Q. When would I need to pay you? A. I will notify you when your plane is finished, include pictures of your exact plane, and at that point I will accept your PayPal payment and then I will ship the plane to you.

7. Q. Can I be on the list now even if I am not sure I want or / can commit. A. Yes. I am making the list as a "soft commitment list" and I will assign numbers past the initial 15, assuming that some people might drop out. But this forms a virtual line and is most fair to those members who expressed solid interest early on!

Hope that helps! Goodbye spot cats!

thatf14guy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by thatf14guy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:43 pm

211; will you be repainting the whole plane or using thiner to make the spots disappear?

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 pm

I will be masking off the markings (big and small), canopy, and all other vital areas. then I will actually paint over the airplane (spots and all) giving it a light primer and then a fresh coat of light grey to match very close to the original color. So it will have a fresh look that is free of spots and will look and feel like a full production plane.

I think the thinner idea would be a disaster! That stuff is pretty unforgiving and there is simply no way to control a liquid solvent like that given all the other markings and painted parts.

I have repainted close to 40 planes in 1:18 scale these past years and the only way to do it right and have it look professional is to repaint over the spots.

toyktdlgh

Post by toyktdlgh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:55 pm

I’m curious to know what product you use for masking the markings off.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm

toyktdlgh wrote:I’m curious to know what product you use for masking the markings off.
It's going to be a combination of Tamyia tapes, and some vinyl stencil masks. I intend to photograph and measure every marking. Re-draw them in the computer to create a 100% accurate vinyl cut mask (temporary sticker). I will then use Tamyia tapes in 2 sizes to mask of the black canopy frame area, the engines, and all other parts that are fine and need protection.

Then It's going to get painted in light primer and sprayed out with a light navy gray to very closely match the base color. The spots will be totally gone and painted over. Peel away all tapes, and vinyl protection masks and ship deploy it back it's new owner.

I am using Tamyia paints, no cheap stuff. It goes down VERY even, dries fast, and will allow for lots of handling as if it were a production sample toy.

Like a production model. This process will produce top notch results, will be a 100% perfect paint maser, no but it won't cost what a paint master normally costs either ($600.00) typically. What you will get is exactly what most of voiced earlier this month: a fresh from the factory no spot F-14 that is worthy of the price tag.

I will leave any weathering to the new owners as this is a very personal choice and as this plane in particular has people way more particular. My method will produce the best result for each and every Tomcat with no variance. Keeps costs down and best of all the spots will be gone, and that is the whole point of doing this.

Black_Dragon_One

f14

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:38 pm

do u accept check i u can wait until it clear to send the bird
whats up doc....

tko211

Post by tko211 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:00 pm

Yeah we can work something that that out if you don't do the PayPal thing.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:16 pm

TKO, would you do an Iranian paint scheme for the F-14 model?
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:37 pm

Sabrefan wrote:TKO, would you do an Iranian paint scheme for the F-14 model?
Second that!!
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:59 pm

Well TKO, looks like you have a business now! :P

glcanon
Corporal
Corporal

Post by glcanon » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:26 pm

tko211 wrote:Yeah we can work something out....
Mark me down for a prelim... would really like to see your work after you're done this wkend or soonest. I kinda like that VF-41 idea...

Where do you hail from, tko211 ?

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:10 am

glcanon wrote:
tko211 wrote:Yeah we can work something out....
Mark me down for a prelim... would really like to see your work after you're done this wkend or soonest. I kinda like that VF-41 idea...

Where do you hail from, tko211 ?
I hail from Salt Lake City, Utah my friend!

I got you marked down! Got my Spotcat tonight... It's bad! ;) Got my modeling list and hitting the hobby store tomorrow morning! -BYE BYE spots!

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:30 am

chunks wrote:
Sabrefan wrote:TKO, would you do an Iranian paint scheme for the F-14 model?
Second that!!
third that
whats up doc....

tko211

Post by tko211 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 am

UPDATE:

Got my F-14 Special Edition Spotcat tonight. It's official! The spots are indeed as bad as they look in photos. There really was a part of me that hoped this was not true but there is no denying it. The plane look flat out BAD! Even when you stand back a few feet. They almost seem to get worse.

OK- that negativity aside, the model itself is Beautiful! I am convinced that later schemes will be great as long as they vow never to give these people airbrushes ever again.
Seriously, the spots do detract from this being beautiful. The way that a Ferrari is beautiful without someone spotting it up with an airbrush. Or dating a hot girl with a bad case of liver spots. What does it all mean? What am I saying? Don't pass up this Tomcat. It's a really nice piece and it's worthy of the 200+ price tag minus of course: the spots. So buy one and live with it, or fix it yourself, or have me do it for you, whatever! But seriously- this F-14 is neat. Blows the F-16 and F-18 away.
The problems with this bird are all just skin deep and the skin can be fixed!

That said: I still don't have a price point nailed down yet but- what I saw tonight is what I was hoping to see. It's confirms for me that what I have in mind will work. It's also not going to be as much work as I feared that it might be. So I think I can keep my costs down and the time down a little as well. So it's going the right direction tonight, hopefully those interested in my service will agree.

The lights are cool, a bit of a novelty... not really needed to make this a winner so long as the paint is nice. Looking forward to painting this bad boy up this weekend! hoping to have a price structure for Jolly Roger Repair and Black Aces conversion by the weekend.

I would like to start receiving planes before Christmas so that I can paint them over my break and get them all done by New years. So for those of you just waiting on price, get ready to ship your spotty bird to me! I want members here to be happy with the big cat as soon as possible.

diegomenendez
Corporal
Corporal

Post by diegomenendez » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:47 am

good to hear tko

I should be receiving my tomcat shortly (ordered from booming island), hopefully shortly anyways, and I'll have her shipped to you. I might opt for the VF-84 'repair' lol, as I'm a big fan of the jolly rogers, however, if your vf-41 sweeps me off my feet, well, I might just have to opt for that!

Diego