Nail in the coffin at WM.

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Nail in the coffin at WM.

Post by hotrodrock » Tue May 26, 2009 8:22 pm

This will probably mean the end of any kind of military except GI Joe even at the WM's that still have any military. Just announced today. Ceratainly will never see any large scale military items regardless of brand. Wonder if they will still carry those gigantic rc cars and trucks. Thats why I never understood WM's problem with 1/18 size boxes when you could fit 4 xd boxes inside one of some of those.
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/05/2 ... ampaign%2F

Stug45
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Stug45 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: this sucks.

But i'm still finding the new 21st figs :D
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 pm

well no need for me to shop there anymore :wink: :roll:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

GI Joe vs Sly...

Post by c44 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Well, it's happy news for TRU...and as Marion Cobra says, Go ahead man. I don't shop here... :D
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:58 pm

Although it is sad to see WM cutting back on it's toy merchandise, it kinda makes sense. Their toy department is almost always in shambles and it is quite difficult to find things where they should be at times. XD was a good example of this. With less merchandise on the shelves, maybe there will be some sense of organization and merchandise just won't be strewn all over the shelves.

skypirate
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Nail in the coffin at WM.

Post by skypirate » Tue May 26, 2009 9:01 pm

hotrodrock wrote:This will probably mean the end of any kind of military except GI Joe even at the WM's that still have any military. Just announced today. Ceratainly will never see any large scale military items regardless of brand. Wonder if they will still carry those gigantic rc cars and trucks. Thats why I never understood WM's problem with 1/18 size boxes when you could fit 4 xd boxes inside one of some of those.
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2009/05/2 ... ampaign%2F
Retail Darwinism. Big box stores drive the little guys into extinction, then they cut back on the variety and the world is a less interesting place.

Can the little guys return, before the unique manufacturers go out of business?

Prediction? We'll have two party retail system to match our two party goverment. Dem or Rep, WM or Target, Home Depot or Lowes, McDonalds or Taco Bell and less selection at all of them.

YT

Post by YT » Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 pm

I hate Walmart. I am just glad they pulled this before TRU went under!

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:55 pm

immeww2 wrote:Although it is sad to see WM cutting back on it's toy merchandise, it kinda makes sense. Their toy department is almost always in shambles and it is quite difficult to find things where they should be at times. XD was a good example of this. With less merchandise on the shelves, maybe there will be some sense of organization and merchandise just won't be strewn all over the shelves.
Ah, no excuse for a dept to be in shambles, that's not due to excessively stocked merchandise, that's lazy freakin' employees with zero organizational skills...:wink:

dandaman
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Really?

Post by dandaman » Tue May 26, 2009 9:59 pm

"Cluttered"? Really?

If you're talking about the girls section, then yes, it always seems to be in shambles. Dolls everywhere. On the floor, opened, half-out-the-box...it's like a whirlwind hit the girls aisle.

The boys aisle isn't much to look at really. You have your Star Wars and a couple GI Joes (not many)...and XD has been on the way out for some time now. There's very little if anything remaining. Mostly cheap 1/32 scale stuff.

I wouldn't use the word "cluttered". There's just not enough there to be cluttered. If anything, it's more like messy or disorganized. And besides, what could they possibly get rid of that they haven't already? We're already down to Hasbro and, let's see...Hasbro?

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Wed May 27, 2009 3:50 am

I went through there the other day. It reminds me of a dollar stores toy section. Small, cheap little packaging of worthless junk.

They got tired of the NASCAR collectors too. I guess they want a non-moderated toy section so they don't have to hire anyone to deal with it.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:25 am

Walmart sucks anyway we look at it. They never have any good toys to choose from anymore anyways, so this doesn't suprise me in the least. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to purchase our beloved hobby pieces via the net and pay those excruciating high pricesl. I for one hate going into wally-world so this will be another reason to avoid them like the plague. :D
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Wed May 27, 2009 6:14 am

Whatever.... probably 95% of my stuff; and thats a lot of shiznip, came from local walmarts. Who cares about all the other toys? XD is all that matters-
Last edited by mikeg on Wed May 27, 2009 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 am

Part of the problem with the clutter is unsupervised kids (and some adults) who knock things down or play with an item and then leave it on the floor where ever they are standing

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Wed May 27, 2009 6:25 am

Did anyone else notice the bit at the end of that article where the writer felt that fewer toys in Walmart was a good thing?

Even though I'm not a fan of some of Walmart's business practices I'm not a Walmart hater either. I shop there regularly and I will continue to do so. I'm not gonna defend them but I'm not gonna bash them either. Having said that I thought the article sounded a little fishy so I took a look at the source link. Walmart says it isn't true:

"Walmart has no new plans to reduce allocated shelf space for toys companywide, and any story or rumor to the contrary is false. Store assortments and quantity levels at Walmart stores will differ based on consumer demand and product trends, as well as seasonal and geographical differences. We will continue to be a leading destination for affordable, high quality toys in the markets we serve.

Also, in keeping with our emphasis on being a store of the community, Walmart announced last year we were converting the fabrics and crafts department in some stores to a newly expanded assortment of merchandise that focuses on life’s celebrations. Walmart has made no such new announcement on new plans to reduce assortment in crafts companywide."

http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/article.asp?id=3745

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Wed May 27, 2009 6:35 am

For the most part, neiman marcus clientele it ain't, there chimichonga-

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed May 27, 2009 6:39 am

I understand they are the "low price leader" but when I go down the isles I see a lot of junk that could be relegated to the Dollar Store, which is usually close by.

The big toy companies have the production power to keep WM shelves stocked.

On the flip side what would attract anyone to go in there on a toy run, when you can get it at Target or others. I would go in to Wallmart specifically for 21st Century Toys, but that's been gone a while now.

This might give a few niche stores a little breathing room from the 900 lb. gorilla eating up most of the public's money if there's any truth to it.

It's good to have a diversity of choices.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 am

This old news :roll:
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Bryce
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bryce » Wed May 27, 2009 7:55 am

Panther F wrote: They got tired of the NASCAR collectors too.
and really who hasnt...

kimtheredxd
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by kimtheredxd » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14 am

More important they are getting rid of the fabric section all together ! :(
Could not think of anything to put here.

Grilledcheese
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Grilledcheese » Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 am

Now you're just talking crazy! I've still got a couple of really cute sun dresses to make! Don't tell me I'll now have to drive all the way to

Hold on, which forum is this again?

Oh crap...

NAME REDACTED
Now I have a machine gun (SPACE GUN!). Ho ho ho.

NWarty
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by NWarty » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 am

LMAO!!!! :lol:

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

WM is a disease - and I'm the cure...

Post by c44 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:38 am

RE: His name was Marion Cobretti....wasn't it? You are correct, sir! Thanx both for the clarification and getting the reference...! (This movie may be before a few board members' time...) :wink:
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Wed May 27, 2009 10:47 am

LOL

LMAO :lol: :lol:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 pm

WM's in Canada have always been crap for toys. Very poor selection and half of it destroyed. So i never go there.

This may have a long term impact on our hobby if Target follows the same route. chap mei and bravo team lines may vanish..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...