"Boys & Their Toys," great book 2 help ur Wife

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

"Boys & Their Toys," great book 2 help ur Wife

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:54 am

I see so many hilarious stories here of grown men hiding their toys; especially from wives. I stumbled upon the library the other day, this really great book that speaks to many of your experiences here on this site. The book is called "Boys and Their Toys" by Adler. From what I recall, the book is aimed at wives and girlfriends; educating them on why men buy what we buy. The book points to some of men's more expensive hobbies eerr "toy" buys; e.g. expensive electronics, sports cars, etc. So its great for "real toy" collectors who spend far less cash than car enthusiasts, electronic addicts, etc. The book continues to illustrate the very positive aspects of investing in your inner childhood innocence, to keep you young, allowing you to live longer, happier lives. The book goes on to explain how such purchases, done in moderation, can make for happier husbands and thus can attribute to happier matrimonial harmony. Hope this book helps you all. And, prevents at least one breakup or divorce in here!

So check your libraries or bookshops and let us all know how the book went over with your wives. Best of luck to you all!!!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Boys-a ... 0814473443

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:59 am

I really never hid nor snuck anything in, ever. My wife knows if we can afford it, I'll buy it and I usually use discretion with it too.

It's kinda hard hiding a 1/18 aircraft or armored vehicle anyway. Especially the boxes the 1/16 Tamiya R/C comes in. :lol:

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am

Very true. Its hard to hide a 1:18 plane. I believe I read somewhere here of a guy who tried to hide a F-104. He was having a heck of a time putting it together - in his car - because he was afraid to put it together at home where the wife might find out. Its funny. Hope the poor guy didn't get poked or anything like that.

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am

Monkey Depot should include one of these books in every 1/18 or 1/32 package during their sale!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:48 am

Razor17019 wrote:Monkey Depot should include one of these books in every 1/18 or 1/32 package during their sale!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

phil

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:51 pm

I used to have a customer in Illinois who went through extreme gyrations to hide the fact that he was buying GI JOE product from us. Obviously his S.O. had made it clear that he was in big trouble if he kept it up. Naturally, I am sure he got caught eventually, but I've no idea what happened... !
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:32 pm

I don't have a problem with the spouse regarding my toys, but the book should be interesting reading none-the-less.

sdcc73
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by sdcc73 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:21 pm

coreystinson wrote:I used to have a customer in Illinois who went through extreme gyrations to hide the fact that he was buying GI JOE product from us. Obviously his S.O. had made it clear that he was in big trouble if he kept it up. Naturally, I am sure he got caught eventually, but I've no idea what happened... !
Man, that's a tragic comedy! Sad. Yet funny!! On a happier note; I knew of another S.O. who actually helped her husband collect as many of the big Joes whenever she can. Her logic; "it keeps my husband away from bars" and thus bar whores. I knew of a similiar case in a far younger teen-aged girl who purchased as much of the smaller figures she can for her boyfriend - for it kept his mind off drugs. Although she had to deal with her family scratching or shaking their heads in disapproval; her support for him worked so very well for so many years; to this day the guy is drug-free. So hey, I'm certain places like SmallJoes is bringing about similiar stories, bringing much good, and much happiness, too. But man, what type of extreme gyrations was that poor dude from Illinois going through to hide it all? I'm certain that's a funny story!

olifant

Post by olifant » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Now when I buy those mid-life crises bar stools covered with the foreskins of endangered whales my wife will understand. :wink:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

Boyx3
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Boyx3 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:44 am

If you think it's hard sneaking in a 1/18th scale plane into the house...when compared to SOoooooo many other mid-life crisis Um.."items"...well...it ain't so hard...or so bad!
FKA: Boyx30

pcsguy88
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by pcsguy88 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:20 pm

sdcc73 wrote:Very true. Its hard to hide a 1:18 plane. I believe I read somewhere here of a guy who tried to hide a F-104. He was having a heck of a time putting it together - in his car - because he was afraid to put it together at home where the wife might find out. Its funny. Hope the poor guy didn't get poked or anything like that.
I confess, that was me. My wife and I stayed at my parents for a few months while house shopping and during that time, I had no way of disposing of the packaging without getting caught. It was more hiding it from the Units than the wife. No body parts were harmed during the smuggling of goods. I just walked it in after everyone was asleep. Once it's in the house, it's all good. It sure is nice having things arrive at my door now without worrying about what others think.
[url=http://www.fighting118th.com]Fighting118th:[/url] Joe Deserves Better!

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Good gosh i do not want to get married. :shock: they make collecting hard. :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
so forget it :lol: 8) 8)
i meant it :shock: :?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Panther F
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Panther F » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:37 pm

flyboy_fx wrote:Good gosh i do not want to get married. :shock: they make collecting hard. :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
so forget it :lol: 8) 8)
i meant it :shock: :?
That's the plan at first ... :lol:

paulpratt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by paulpratt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:51 pm

Just use some moderation. If you married the woman you should know what her limits are. Most of the time that is defined by the pocketbook too. Spend in moderation and talk with her about it. Most martial arguments stem from sex and money, or a lack thereof in either category.
Best,
-Paul