4 for victory contest

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:42 pm

http://www.21stcenturytoys.com/area21/n ... anel/7.jpg

Look like bullet holes to me baby..

By the by the first Comic Con update has been posted...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:44 pm

Oh and by the way the 190D was my most anticipated and is my favourite aircraft released to date..

Amazed that sales are weak, even in other scales. It's such a cool looking plane and one of the best of the war.

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

Trust me

Post by digger » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:53 pm

aferguson wrote:http://www.21stcenturytoys.com/area21/n ... anel/7.jpg

Look like bullet holes to me baby..
They're not - there is one bullet hole. Aside from the fact that it would be impressive shooting even at point blank range to get those holes lined up, even and parallel, it says "right down to the REAL Bullet hole" - singular.

As for CC, that S3 104 is awesome. My fav of three by far. Cool that they're going to have the new Mustang there as well. No need to pre-order another bbi until I see what 21st's got :D

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

4 for victory contest

Post by mediump » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:25 pm

I'd say you be waiting 4 to 6 weeks after the contest ends (sept 30th) you would get it just before thanksgiving?!..who knows really :?

aktiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aktiger » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:13 pm

It's interesting that 21st C would single out one retailer to be the beneficiary of the "contest". Why not a receipt from any retailer? It makes me wonder how other retailers that are stocked with 190s feel about 21st C.

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:56 pm

I don't think buying 4 planes for a special is a bad deal. However 4 of the same plane makes it tough. I have 4 190's hanging now and 4 in boxes. Unless Wallyworld has a clearance I don't see how I can justify 4 more. A combination of 4 would have made me want to run out and buy right away. Theres been a 1/18 drought for a while now.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:38 pm

Think of it this way... you could actually make a pretty darn awesome display by doing this contest! Have the 4 FW-190s you buy hanging together being chased by the brand new P-51 Mustang you'd get... then on the wall directly behind the mustang put the FW-190 panel! Would look pretty awesome if you ask me.

And really you guys... how many of the P-47 repaints have you gotten? Or Corsairs repaints? And the fact that you'll be able to have the new Mustang in your hands before even Badcat gets it! I'm very anxious to see what's new with this Mustang! So... let's do it this way. The Mustang, new from Bad Cat will probably be about $50 let's say. A really nice Nose art/aircraft panel like this (I went and looked some up online) costs about $170-$220 on up. That's $200+ worth right there! Now, if you pick up 4 FW-190s (about $160) you'll get 4 FW-109s, a brand new retooled P-51D Mustang before anyone else, and the Aircraft Panel! That's quite a deal!

Frankly... I can't wait to see the new Mustang hanging in here with the otehr aircraft. And remember... if nothing else, FW-190s make great presents for aviation fans!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:50 pm

sorry digger......i guess i should've read the blurb that goes with the pics. It's just a replication of a panel from a 190D. Interesting idea, i guess.

And P, if one P-51 were in the sky against four 190D's it wouldn't be chasing them, it would be running for its life! :P The 190D was very much the equal of the Mustang.

As far as the contest idea goes: larger companies usually buy back excess stock from retailers in order to make room for new product. 21C is clearly not in a position to do that. Full marks for a novel and gutsy solution but it may create negative vibes among their customers for a time. There are many 21c fans that frequent 21c's website that don't visit this board that probably felt as we all did but won't get TKO's reassuring message...unless they post something similar in Area 21.

Anyway, from the comic con update it looks like things are finally going to start happening! Yee Hawww..

gustav
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by gustav » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:28 pm

i second that one...dire predictions followed more of the same. what's next, is the sky suddenly going to drop, squashing us all?

as han once said, "let's keep a little optimism here."

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:31 pm

I hope 21C does open this up to purchases from shops other than Walleyworld. Reason being if someone has a choice between Walmart and online, they "likely" would choose Wally just because its cheaper and no shipping. But what if no Wallys around them have the one bird they are missing? I say if this helps out someone who's willing to buy 4 190s right now, why not do it?

Still, kinda cool idea - like the old "buy 5 GI joes, and mail in for a free figure." Just a little bigger, and a lot more pricey.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:50 pm

Why couldn't they just throw the planes on sale? I think that would clear them out faster than having to require customers to buy 4 of them.

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:02 pm

I was pretty excited when I heard about the buy 4 get a P-51 contest. Unfortunately, I already have 11 FW190s. I have 2 of every paint job and then 3 extras I picked up on clearance. I didn't pay full price for any of the planes. Needless to say I would have liked it better if they did this contest a few months back. I might still try to find some on clearance and get it to work that way, and then just trade, sell, or give them away. We'll see what works.

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:14 am

immeww2 wrote:Why couldn't they just throw the planes on sale? I think that would clear them out faster than having to require customers to buy 4 of them.
I think Andrew is spot-on with this one. As Zach said, it's just to clear stock. This is great news. The new stuff has got to be right around the corner! I'm pretty stoked....... (eh well, if my wife can get the goods for me, that is)

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:39 am

Regardless of whats coming out of the 21st camp, I agree with several posters. I to think this is designed to help clear the stock from WM shelves. It's odd that pretty much the only aircraft I see on the shelves at local WM's are 190's, and there seems to be no shortage. I have noticed that in the event a Corsair or even a P40 or Spit show up, they're gone fairly quickly, yet the 190's sit in the overstock and collect dust. It also appears as though WM isn't being so quick to clearance anymore, as I haven't caught a clearance on XD related items since January when they were selling the M113's and Tigers for $9.00, and since have stocked many many aircraft (all 190's) that literally are collecting dust. It's ashamed that the P51 won't be available to everyone, and even more unfortunate is that you'll see this contest bring out some resourceful crooks. I suspect we'll see 190's void of their proof of purchases from persons buying (enter the require receipt) and removing the proof of purchase, simply affixing a piece of carboard in it's place returning it to the store that 9 times out of 10 doesn't even look to see if an item is in a box of something being returned. and voila, hello limited run Mustang.

Perhaps if 21st would spend the $$$$ put out different airframes as opposed to overplaying the whole repaint thing, those items wouldn't be sitting on shelves collecting dust? This contest rubs me the wrong way, and I had been a loyal fan of 21sts from the beginning through the thick and thin.

Edit:
and yes, I realize companies can't please all of the people, all of the time :P

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:22 am

Digger wrote:

imagine if they had 2000 A-10s to move.....then we'd have a real problem

But the A-10 is a much more recognizable aircraft to the "mass" public. Alot more appeal with the hardware that could come with it. In my opinion I don't think sales would stagger that much.

digger

A-10

Post by digger » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:35 am

I was just using that as an example - it would be big and pricey so it's a gamble no matter what. You can have 4 FW's but it would be tough to fly 4 A-10s....(I too think it would sell and I want it - but my point is there is more to it than just what we want, sadly).
So, cries for obscure or huge aircraft with no consideration for exactly the situation we have with the 190s, are hollow.

As an aside, I think WWII AC sells better than modern so we should keep that in mind too when comparing a small German fighter to a huge modern Jet.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:39 am

I'm sorry guys but this "contest" leaves a really bad taste in my mouth with 21c.

Vail (or actual) threats that no more planes will be available unless we all go in and help WM with an overstock problem on an unpopular plane with the general toy buying public. Come on... :roll:

I'm trying to be nice, but did I read somebody has 11 "190's" and more in boxes? :shock: Somebody has a "190" PROBLEM. I mean they're not like having ten Command Cars or five Shermans....right??? That would be understandable :wink: But eleven of the same plane?? What is he doing, stocking up for a 1/18 German aircraft carrier to sortie with his 1/18 Graf Spee and 1/18 Bismark? :lol:

I wish all you multiple buyers of the same plane well and I guess there is a place for everyone in this hobby. Even people who have alot of extra money and wall and cieling space. Meanwhile I'm going down in the "bunker" and play with my tanks.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:40 am

Well, its a good thing I got paid this week cause it looks like i'll be going shopping! This is an incredible offer. BUy Four get one free! Hell, I can take these and hang them in the garage even as if they were doing a fly by. SWEET!

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:00 am

World War II aircraft do sell well, but which modern jets that have been produced so far (F-16 & F-18) have had placement in a store like Wal-Mart that the everday public frequents? Comparing the great sales on the WWII aircraft vs. Modern Jets I think is hard to compare when not a single modern aircraft has been produced and sold at a retail outlet like Wal-Mart. The F-104 is about to do this. But it's not really modern and is not as recognizable to the general public. Just food for thought.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:08 am

TTT there have been four repaints of the 190 so you would be buying four different versions, not the exact same aircraft four times. All the repaints are good. I still need black 12.

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:51 pm

I think someone out there is getting in on the contest already. I went to Walmart yesterday and checked for 190's. Same 7-8 ones there for the last few months. Today I was in the neighborhood so I dropped in again because I didn't scan them. I believe at least 2 were gone. I went to register and had them scanned and there still $40

mediump
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

4 for victory

Post by mediump » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:19 pm

I asked area 21 if they all had to be bought at once here is the responce I got:
Philip-

They can be individual receipts. They do need to be purchased from Wal Mart and they do need to be dated between 6-1-05 up to 8-31-05! I wish you luck my friend the prizes are pretty cool. Especially the panel.
The nose art panel is worth quite a bit, and it will rise in value over time. Some of Mr. Velaso's panels are now worth up to about 900.00 and rising. For more information on that check out his web site! Really cool stuff. www.fightingcolors.com It will give you an idea of the potential long term value of this piece! Best of luck my friend!

Zachary Sharples
AREA-21 Fan Club President