Is the M113 worth buying?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
ww2collecter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Is the M113 worth buying?

Post by ww2collecter » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:13 pm

My wife has a $20 gift card to WM and I think I convinced her to let me use it on the M113, which sells for $30. I just started buying the modern stuff due to the popularity of the vehicles being used in Iraq. I already have the LAV,& Abrams. I'm looking to add the Hummer and Bradley.
Is the M113 worth it? I skip at first cause the guys looked cheap (liked shell shocked) but does the cheapness run into the vehicle?
If it sounds cool, then I will be taking a run this evening to get it

CW4USARMY
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:27 pm

I believe it is worth it only because I dont think you'll ever see any other company produce it at 1:18 scale. Although, be very picky and careful when you choose one. Ive found many have loose or broken parts.
not sure if they used cheap glue or what, but out of 5 that were in one of my area stores, I only found one that seemed near flawless. I ditched the figures as soon as I opened it as they are nothing worth displaying.
The 21st M113 is definitely worth displaying, but if a kid was to actually play with it, it would sadly break easily and often. (my 2 cents)

Razor17019

M113 and Bradley

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:47 pm

ww2collecter
I sent you a private mail on this.
If you haven't found out how to use private mail yet, email me.
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:04 pm

This vehicle is certainly worth buying. The figures aren't worth the plastic they were made from, but the vehicle itself is nice. It can hold a number of troops, plus the commander driver in their stations. It has a full interior and an opening engine, though the radiators are not there. All the hatches open. All in all, it is a better vehicle than any of the BBI Modern pieces, and well worth the $30.

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

my opinion

Post by 75th Ranger » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:22 pm

I have 4 M113....and i would love to have even more.
I was a great vehicle for the time and it can be custumize for different roles.
you can also find them at Wal-mart at discount prices.
take care,
HOOAH!

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:56 pm

IMHO it's a stretch saying it's worth it at MSRP ($30-$39) but I gambled and lucked out, found 5 on clearance 2 weekends ago, 4 for $6.88 I believe, and one for $5.00 as the clear plastic window was torn and a figure had been decapitated (head still in box). I agree with the poster above, the figures for lack of a better word, suck! But the vehicle is large and lends itself to being easily detailed/customized. I'm in the process as I type of doing an M901 version and possibly a M577 Command variant.

Regards,
Todd

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:43 pm

A local Walmart in Tulsa has the M113s on clearance for $15.00.. :wink:
If you wait a little while, maybe you'll get lucky and your Walmart will clearance them also.. :)
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ww2collecter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by ww2collecter » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:16 pm

hworth18 wrote:A local Walmart in Tulsa has the M113s on clearance for $15.00.. :wink:
If you wait a little while, maybe you'll get lucky and your Walmart will clearance them also.. :)

I agree, I saw some today and they were $35. I'll wait a few more weeks and see what happens :wink:

Razor17019

M113 and Bradley

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:35 pm

ww2collecter,

I have a Green M113 mint in box and mint M2 Bradley in bad box for sale.
(sorry if this should be in the Trade Section- I hate to see you pay too much for the m113)
The M113 has 2 figures and the Bradley has one figure.
I can let you have both for 36.00 plus shipping
I can email you a pic of both of them if you like.

email me: [email protected] and let me know.

Thanks!

kenhil2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by kenhil2 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:59 am

tmanthegreat has it right the vehicle is great, but dont expect much from the figures, i would definatly say to pick it up.
...ken

Semper Fi

"if you haven't been there, shut the f@#k up"

Hollywoodkbl
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Hollywoodkbl » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:48 pm

I just spent 32 on one at WalMart. I don't know where all you guys are getting them for $10. They are hard to find now in SoCal, and not on sale. I think it was worth it, I love this vehicle and when I'm done customizing it, it should rock!
"It's not the years...it's the mileage"

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:44 pm

I was a little disappointed with the M113 at first. The thing that bugged me the most was the crappy machine gun. It wasnt up to the usual 21st standards. I decieded it was worth trying to improve it or destroy it in the process. I took a small drill bit and using a pin vise, I drilled out the ventalation holes on the barrel. It is easy since there are dimple there already. Next, I drilled out the end of the barrel and opened up the flash suppressor at the tip a bit with an exacto knife. Next, I used the drill to drill out a series of holes around the trigger handles. Then I used the exacto knife to clean out the rest of the plastic and then finally a file to neaten things up. I finished with paint to cover the sloppy glue job from the factory and painted the wooden grips on the triggers. It gave the gun a much more improved 3D look. It took about 15 minutes to complete.

TJ

forcerecon85
Corporal
Corporal

Is it still worth it?

Post by forcerecon85 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Now that its been 3 years, is it still worth buying? I might be able to get one for $60US. Being Canadian I missed out on it and would love it for my Vietnam guys. I'm assuming there won't be another 1:18 M113 for a loooooooong time. I just don't know if I'd be screwed over at $60US thats all haha.

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:41 pm

krieglok wrote:I was a little disappointed with the M113 at first. The thing that bugged me the most was the crappy machine gun. It wasnt up to the usual 21st standards. I decieded it was worth trying to improve it or destroy it in the process. I took a small drill bit and using a pin vise, I drilled out the ventalation holes on the barrel. It is easy since there are dimple there already. Next, I drilled out the end of the barrel and opened up the flash suppressor at the tip a bit with an exacto knife. Next, I used the drill to drill out a series of holes around the trigger handles. Then I used the exacto knife to clean out the rest of the plastic and then finally a file to neaten things up. I finished with paint to cover the sloppy glue job from the factory and painted the wooden grips on the triggers. It gave the gun a much more improved 3D look. It took about 15 minutes to complete.

TJ
Krieglok,
If you still have this M113 and the MG, I would love to see a pic of it.

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 am

Well worth the purchase except for the figures that come with it!

Foxhole Toys
Sergeant
Sergeant

M113 on ebay for your opinion

Post by Foxhole Toys » Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 am

We think it's actually one of 21st Century Toys best and way underated toys! Funny how we overlook items sometimes when they first come out and then find the need for them later (ie Vietnam & Gulf War dioramas now with figures to boot!). :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=014
Foxhole Toys ..."Dive in!"
www.FoxholeToys.com

MG-42

* M113 APC

Post by MG-42 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:19 am

* "Glad I got one".
=---> I had found 2 of the original "OD - green" ones , on clearance @ WAL* MART last year or the year before that ,.. I can't quite remember ,.. for $9.00 ea. ... I $old one of'em to "kevrut".

* I think it's worth it , but I would'nt pay any more than $50.00 bucks for it if I was really wanting one though.

v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Thu May 22, 2008 11:32 am

I'm not a big fan of the M113..mainly because I'm not really a huge fan of APCs in general.

But learn from my mistakes. If you want it, buy it!

Because there might come a time in the future that you decide that you really want the M113, but you can only find it on Ebay for $100+ :cry:

*still kicking myself for not getting a Cobra when it was plentiful*