Enough with the M79 !!!!

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
trigger1
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Enough with the M79 !!!!

Post by trigger1 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:44 pm

With two launchers per rifle squad and eighty-five in a battalion, why is this issued with 50% of the Nam figures? A bit heavy on the M1 sniper rifles too in my opinion.
I love the shotgun that comes with the "Barnes" Platoon figure,and would have loved to have seen a few variations of this weapon. Just my thoughts after too many cups of coffee today. :shock:
B/S/T Contacts:holensock,billgiff,Razor17019,KWR190,ostketten,kevrut,ram04 etc...

Arclight
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Arclight » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 pm

Well, as some of you old timers on this board may remember my father used to be on this board often and went by the name macvsog. He has since retired and such, but as many of you remember he is a multi-tour veteran of Vietnam with the 101st and macv. I've been lucky enough to be left with much of his knowledge.

Keep in mind this is what he experienced first hand and may not be what is in books or movies.

The m-79 was carried by many soldiers and rarely ever carried alone. Meaning - You would be a crazy person to go into combat with only the m-79 as your weapon. The need for an m-16 and other such tools was too great for every soldier. Think of how vulnerable you would be with only that. The m-79 was a supplement to rifles and other combat weapons. It was used when needed. Many soldiers in a platoon carried the m-79 strapped and tucked away. None of them, for the vast majority, ever carried it alone.

For instance, almost every soldier carried a belt of m-60 ammo with them to supply the pig as well. No soldier went into combat without an m-16, a shot gun or the pig, etc.

You may be tired of the m-79, but... Many of your soldiers would have them to supplement their m-16's and other weapons, etc. It was like.. Bringing a knife with them.

Of course I understand the desire for a variety of weapons, too.

But you should feel good about it. Think positive, man.
Arc

trigger1
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by trigger1 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks for the insight Arclight. :D
B/S/T Contacts:holensock,billgiff,Razor17019,KWR190,ostketten,kevrut,ram04 etc...