where are the 2008 toy fair photos from members ?

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
turkish1
Corporal
Corporal

where are the 2008 toy fair photos from members ?

Post by turkish1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:02 pm

noone from/been in NYC to post new photos ??????????????

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:04 pm

Digger posted them to TKO and TKO posted them to Area 21 viewtopic.php?t=11125&start=20
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Toy Fair Images

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:30 pm

Hi,
Frankly, there wasnt much to photgograph. Going in, I knew Dragon was going to be a no-show. Unimax only showed their Ages of Action figs and the new 1:24 scale R/C tanks (images up on our site). Everything else has been previously released and readily available elsewhere. 21st showed their 2nd issue Hetzer and Marder III M (images up on our site), along with the 1:48 scale aircraft, 1:18 King Tiger and 1:18 Flak Gun (images posted by someone else). Other than that, it was a pretty ho-hum experience, at least for us, and I'm wondering if this is a sign of things to come or perhaps demonstrating reluctance on the manufacturer's part to invest in new tooling during our current economic hiatus.

I also think that this may be one of the driest year's on record for collectibles for a number of reasons. First, I think the upcoming Olympics is going to play havoc with the Chinese economy, as factories are being ordered to shutter to lessen pollution prior to and during the Games. Second, I think companies are going to be recalcitrant this year, offering more repaints of older tooling as a means of bolstering their lineup. Third, I hear from a number of quarters how difficult its becoming to manufacture short-run products in the Orient, with labor issues, rising zinc costs, and other vagaries affecting the ability of most companies to produce anything. Some companies are simply closing down or moving elsewhere in an effort to keep their oars in the water. I fully expect that alot of ship dates are going to be missed by a wide margin, as companies do their utmost after the Olympics to crank up production and get things back on track for the end of year holidays.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by c44 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Jeez, Lightning, you're quite the buzz killer...but of course, you're right...we've sold our manufacturing soul to a country that poisons its own people, ingests endangered species in an attempt to cure impotence, has a paranoid & abusive government..well, let's not get started on a rant here... :)
...but any China watcher should not be surprised at any arbitrary or otherwise irrational government policy that might negatively impact our hobby, and as petroleum prices inch upward (and we can't forget that the price of plastic is part of that equation) no one should be surprised at some bumps in the road including price spikes & maybe some manufacturers leaving the business...OK, enough gloom for the week... :wink:
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:22 pm

What about ATs booth has anybody been to see them?????
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Toy Fair

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi,
Not trying to come off as a buzzkill - just merely making my observations. On the flip side, too much disposable income and not enough product to purchase invariably pushes up asking prices for what has been previously released that might be in short supply. So, if you think prices might be high for stuff now on ebay, there's a good chance they'll go even higher, particularly if the economy rebounds in the second half of the year, which isnt necessarily a given depending upon who you speak to.

The supply and demand tug of war could be particularly acute this year, unless there's a sudden deluge of new and exciting product, across the entire spectrum of military-themed collectibles, coming to market. Guess the jury is out on this one...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:11 pm

If the economy does swing better, because of the lack of commitment form the big three to reveal anything new, might open up the door for new companies in enter in the 1:32 and 1:18th mix…being secretive and letting a certain scale sit idle can be a double edge sword for the rest.
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Island Raider
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Island Raider » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:41 am

I know the images have probably already been seen, but here is another gallery showing some of 21stCentury's showings at Toy Fair.

http://www.toytraderz.com/modules/event ... tury+Toys/

Mike

HIDEOUS ONE
Corporal
Corporal

chinese

Post by HIDEOUS ONE » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:41 am

Wow, that's chalkboard scratch to my ears. All I can say is that someday I had better see some Russian figures and a t-34 and some british figures. Desert Rats or Red Devils. Doesn't matter anymore i just want to see them produced well in 1:18. I cannot go as far into movie production without them. I am about to attempt a Red Devil custom but I would rather have them made. And the BBI jump ready RD just wont cut it. The way I see it, if the chinese were willing to make Japanese figs then what would stop them from making communist Russians? The olympics?

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:37 am

Just so you guys are not thinking NY area guys ignored the Toy Fair, it has been said before but just remember the Toy Fair is ONLY open to the toy trade. Dealers like Lighting 2000 and a few others on this board are dealers, Digger was given access to Toy Fair by 21C as a great favor to us. You can't just walk in.

I have access to Toy Fair as a member of the press. Have to have access previously approved. Also you need approval and a special badge for a camera.

That said....... in this day and age of tiny digital cameras, it is impossible to stop people from taking pics. Also any huge place like the Javitts center is bound to have guys sneak in if they really want......... if they catch you, out come the rubber hoses but they don't hurt much when the guys using the hoses are only 12" high. :roll:

FYI: My membership in the "Press" is due to my daughter's LOTR association and is used solely to check out our toys and dollies. Good for a few freebies...... the last being a 12" Patton statue on a base with his ugly dog. :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

NY Toy Fair

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:46 am

Hi,
I've been going to the American International Toy Fair, on and off, for a little over 25 years and quite frankly, this one was the most disappointing for a number of reasons. I think alot of the manufacturers are most likely scaling back on their offerings this year for fear of recession. Couple that with rising costs in the Orient and higher energy prices, not to mention the high cost associated with exhibiting here in NY, and you have a dismal showing. I can forsee a time when none of the manufacturers in our industry go to this show, preferring to either show their wares at IHobby Expo, Nuremberg, or simply unveil their new product on their own web sites.

I cant honestly say how much business is written at Toy Fair. There was a time when key manufacturers offered special discounts by placing an order at the Show as opposed to waiting several weeks. This way, they had a fair idea as to how much product would be needed for the holidays. Since our hobby isnt really engineered for holidays sales, and is instead a more year-round obsession, the impetus to write orders at the Show takes on less meaning, particularly for maturing companies that have been in the business for a number of years.

I fondly remember a time walking floor by floor at 200 5th Avenue (which has now been converted to condos) seeing each of the toy makers, along with strolling over to 1107 Broadway, and several key manufacturers located off site, such as Hasbro, Mattel, Empire and Coleco. The business began to change in the mid 1980s with the rise of video games, and has steadily become a less viable force few can ignore.

Looking ahead, I think the number of new showings at Toy Fair will become even more dependant on the economy, with fewer companies willing to take the chance to spend money on new tooling. And with consolidation taking place at the retail end, a certain select key accounts can really have a dramatic impact on certain segments of our industry.

Doom and gloom aside, a number of companies continually announce new product throughout the course of the year, as they become comfortable with their production and time to market. Its quite possible the third and fourth quarter will have a more robust list of new product in the pipeline, as companies continually reassess the marketplace.

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.net