My first XD

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by mikeg » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:16 am

Nothing new here, the first was the white 12 109, I ignored the p-51 next to it at the time- I seemed like a few weeks or months later the stukas, d-day p-38s, and british,etc. corsairs started to show at TRU-

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:17 am

Isn't this starting to sound a little like an AA meeting? :wink: Hi my name is (insert name here), and I've been an XDoholic for ??? years. :lol: :lol: jkng
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

MG-42

[+] My first XD * ( ? )

Post by MG-42 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:37 am

* "Hi , my name is MG-42" , and I'm addicted to XD to the X-treme ! * 8)

Mitch v MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Tambo
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Tambo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:51 am

The first issue 21st ME-109 did me in.

Fitzystigertank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Fitzystigertank » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:45 pm

my story is that i had no idea on anything XD when they first came out
my brother and I went into a TRU in NH and were walking around when he yelled for me to come here. i came around the corner and he was standing in front of the new XD stuff. what I remember was on the shelf was the first line of germans and american figures, the very 1st Me 109 and the first p51. i remember they had the jeep and kubelwagen. I'm not very sure on the panther and sherman.
So we picked up a couple of the german and american. we picked up the me 109 and p51 and i think i got the kubelwagen and he got the jeep.
when we got home and started to play with everything i remember that the antenna on my me 109 broke so that went back and i think the landing gear on the p51 broke. I wish i bought another me 109. I have 3 E 109 and 3 G 109's.
i still have the original germans and my brother has the original americans. I still have the kubelwagen with missing parts. he still has the jeep which i really want to buy off of him but he said no.
when we first started collecting XD i collected the germans and he collected the americans. I still have the panther and he has the sherman. he also has the original halftrack.
when the BOTB figures started to come out i collected some americans cause i was tired of borrowing his americans. plus they were going for .99
so my collection of german vehicles is 2 tigers, 3 halftracks, 1 panzer and a panther and kubelwagen.
i wish they would make the kubelwagens and jeep again cause i would buy a few of them.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 pm

My name is TTT and I am a XDaholic.

Gotta watch what you say around here, some guys are very touchy about being a toy adict.

My first XD was a CC, my son gave me as a b-day present. He bought it because I had owned a 1/1 CC and my boys learned to drive it as soon as their feet could reach the pedals. Lots of great times with my little guys with the CC. One now has a Dodge M-37 and the other has an Dodge M-882.......I have passed it on. My sweet daughter collects toys...SW and LOTR big time. I passed her love of toys on.

After everbody went home, I just sat looking over the 1/18 CC. I couldn't believe the quality and authentic look of a "toy". I went down to TRU the next day and cleaned the shelves (about 5 or 6 different XD items including a 1/6 CC, which was on clearance). I was in shock at what I was looking at.

Been buying 1/18 and 1/6 ever since, with a few 1/32 sneaking in. I'm now thinking of adding 1/48 planes (lots of bombers in 1/48.....).

Up the rebels....... :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:52 pm

"Lou IV" P-51D, shortly followed by the "White 12" Bf-109 and the rest is history :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:55 pm

I have been building military models, mostly 1/35th for twenty years or more. Becuase of old eyes and hand shake I had slowed down on building anything. I was looking at 1/18 diecast cars on ebay when I saw the XD Sherman listed. Somehow found out that TRU's had them. Went to TRU's and was blown away buy the Sherman and Panther and bought them. I looked at the planes( too big) and the figures and decided the two tanks were all I was going to buy. A few years later and I have allmost all the vehicles and planes plus way to many figures.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:32 pm

I grew up collecting GI-Joe in the 80s, but couldn't get every item being a child whose parents weren't able to afford them. But now, as a working adult with the same enthusiasm, watch out! Man I'm so addicted to XD it isn't even funny. :D Thank goodness that I have a wife who appreciates the quality and historical references that come with XD and the like.
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)

bird
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bird » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:20 pm

I too grew up collecting GIJoe, before Joes I had Star Wars and in my early teens i sold off my collection of both.
At 16 I started collecting Joes again and have been going strong ever since.
It's not been until I became an adult and wage earner that my collection has grown. I happened across BBi figures through visiting Small Joes where my GI Joe search had lead me from evilbay (ebay)
At first I said that i'd only collect modern warfare and I got all the BBi figures I could get. When their WW2 figures came out I bought those and it was then I decided to go all out and collect only WW2.
My first XD was the Battle of the Bulge series 1.
I was so amazed by WW2 XD that now it's the only era of soldiers I want to collect. I even sold off my BBi modern warfare stuff to my mate and while he has the modern stuff i'm all about getting the WW2 stuff.
I still have my Joes, a few Star Wars figures but my pride and joy in these last few years has been XD.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:27 pm

I have to chime in on this one, as if I remember correctly there was one of these threads on Groundpounder back in the day. Really it doesn't seem like it has been going on that long, but with all the new guys we have that just started collection within the past year or so I feel like an old guy in the barracks :wink:. I'm about the same as many here as I started collecting GI Joes when I was a kid. I loved Star Wars, but something about the fully posable figures that draws you in. I stopped collection Joes back in 1990, as I didn't really play with them any more. I started collection Star Wars figure in 1997 when my son was born, which I think set the stage for XD. I think it was back in 2000, I know I came to the table a little late almost a year after 21st C put out there S1 WWII XD stuffand just reight before the Nam stuff showed. Odd thing about all this was I've always looked at the S1 figures every time I was in TRU and wanted to pick up a few for Star Wars customs, but never did until I got a Kubelwagen for a trade. I traded it for some Star Wars stuff and I can't even remember what I got for it. As I was getting it ready to ship, something about it just hooked and pulled me in. Not sure if it's was the fact it was a VW, as I really like my Volkswagens or what, but there was something to it. Anyway, my next trip to TRU I just had to find out and I bought one for myself and that was it. It was so cool I just had to have more and within the following few weeks my XD grew from that one Kubelwagen to near complete S1 collection x2. My wife thought I was crazy, as I had 2 of every figure, 3 Shermans, 2 Panthers, 2 Jeeps, 2 Bf-109 (White 12) and 2 of the one that started it all. The only one I didn't have was the P-51. TRU happened to sell them all within 100 miles of me or so, because drove to a TRU almost a half a day away hunting the P-51. Never found it on my own, but then I came apon the holy land of XD with the finding of Groundpounder and with the help of the great members I was complete, or at least until something new came out. Nam stuff was to follow shortly with the Fan Club S2 stuff and the rest is history. Good times and I wish 21st C would go back to that as we only had to wait a year or so until there was something new to offer. Plus we knew what was coming unlike today when stuff just shows up and we got long dry spells with nothing. I think we would have many more items if they were able to keep at that pace.
momaw nadon

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:47 pm

White 12 109 at TRU...29.99. :)
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

Forward Observer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Forward Observer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:15 am

Also the White #12 Bf109 Emil at TRU. Unfortunately my now ex-wife threw a fit about it at the time, so I never bought any more until we split several years later. Consequently, I really missed out on a lot of the good stuff when it was on the shelves.

Cheers
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:18 am

My first piece - I believe - was first ME 109. Had been collecting the 21C 1/6th scale stuff TRU had and one day walked in and saw that and it was on.

SGT. ROCK
Corporal
Corporal

Post by SGT. ROCK » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:10 am

I picked up the S1 P-51 at TRU back in 01. It had one of its prop blades broken off so the manager let me have it for 20 bucks. It was the only XD in the store and the first time I had ever seen a "toy" with such detail. I've been hooked ever since.

RA5BS
Corporal
Corporal

Post by RA5BS » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:32 pm

I bought a P47D Razor for my older bro's birthday back in '03 at the local Wally-"Blonde Angel" it was- and ended up being so impressed I went back a few days later and got the checker version for myself. Now five years later and 30-plus aircraft along with a similar number of vehicles, the figures to complement them and the 1/32nd stuff I have picked up as well just to prove to my wife I am completely obsessed, I think 21st Century Toys ought to add a marriage counseling service on Area 21. Oh, well...
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today..."

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:15 pm

lol :lol:

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TOOL » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:05 pm

My first XD was the Vietnam Huey and the Panther. I always wanted a Huey growing up and when I saw it shopping for a B Day present for my nephew at TRU I had to have it. That started me collecting again and I have going strong ever since.... :lol:

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:48 am

My first XD :?: :?: :?:
I almost don't remember, but it's been about a year now or a bit longer.
As a recovering hobbyist from garden railways, I converted over to the XD after the ASSociation where I live made me takedown my RR from out of the backyard of my condo because I turned them into the city and state government for lack of fixing our falling apart building which was almost condemed by the city and the association was fined several thousands of dollars for their lack of upkeep. It was their revenge for getting in trouble. I wanted to go to war with them, but chose to stay out of jail by waging war on a smaller scale by modeling. I must add I had an agreement in writing with the former management here and association board that was approved. The new facist board was aware of it, but never gave me greif until after my many attempts to nicely have our building repaired, being dismissed and nothing getting done until I got the state and city involed. I must add, these people were voted out this last Nov. and a new board elected. The job of fixing our building was never finished. The building was, but they never finished our fences or replaced the grass they plowed up. It's dirt and weeds in the backyard now. Perfect I must add to turn into a battlefield for the XD :P

Now back to topic ;)
I started with a few XD soldiers and placed my first order from BC for Tigers, M-41 tanks(shermans were long gone), trucks, jeeps, etc.. Since then I spent a small fortune on Evil bay and bleed for my Shermans, Panthers and Panzers as well as WWII planes, customs, etc. So now I have lots of toys to do/stage battles :twisted: I've done several videos and shot hunderds of pictures. My troops also cross the 500+ mark and I think that's just the Huns :shock: I need to start reinforcing the Allies now with a couple hunderd more troops. I've built a couple custom tanks with more on the drawing board including the M-41 to M-24 conversions. I must have close to 100 tanks now and slowly building more as time goes on.

It's not just a hobby, and it's not just a addiction. I'd say it's more like an obesession :evil: :roll: :lol: Da General

Did I forgot to mention the custom troops and gaurd towers etc., Oh well :oops:

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:05 am

My first XD........ Well, I found out about our hobby through the internet while stationed over in the UK in 2000. I saw the LOU IV P-51 and BF-109 and had to have them!! I returned to the states in 2001 and ordered the P-51 and 109 through the mail and found a pair locally. The ones I ordered are still in the shipping box! Anyways, it's all downhill from there.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:25 am

White 12 Me-109 for me, followed soon after by Lou IV P-51, both from TRU, late Fall of 2000 (I think).

- aae
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:33 am

I found the original Stuka @ TRU in 2003 when I went to get a birthday present for my nephew. I have been buying at least one of each of everything since then.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:36 am

I think it was the S1 Panther, way back when they were first released at TRU.

pcb122605
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by pcb122605 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 am

My first were a few series 1 German and US soldiers. I liked the detail but the fragileness of the joints made me hesitate to but more. Then TRU had that huge sale where they were dumped for something like 1.47 a piece and I loaded up. Haven't looked back since, and I am happy 21st upgraded the figures mobility wihtou sacrificing detail.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:42 pm

My XD tale has routes that can be traced back to in the late 60’s when my brothers and I had some 1/32nd scale scale cowboy and Indian figure sets and some Airfix figures and for some strange reason we even had a set of red and blue coats from the American war of independence in this same scale.

In 1971 I remember finding a $1 note on the way home from school and eager to spend my new found wealth decided to call into the local toy shop which was only a small diversion from my usual route home, finding myself cashed up in an Aladdin’s cave, I decided to spend 30 cents and get myself a 1/32nd scale Britains German MG42 gunner figure that was one of I believe a set of six at the time, however it was not long before I had them all and also the (working) mortar and crew. My brothers where so impressed that they each got a set of the Allies one getting the Brit’s and the other getting the Yank’s.

Although we could not afford the vehicles at the time (although as a Birthday present I had received a motorcycle and side car) our imaginations easily made up the short fall. In the mid 80’s in what can only be described as a moment of sheer madness I decided that these TOYS! were no longer for me and I traded nearly all I had for my new passion at the time which was plastic scale model building. Don’t worry both the original first figure and the motor cycle somehow survived this irrational behaviour and are still in my possession to this day although both have suffered from some customising.

In the 80’s I was attracted to the new 3 3/4 inch Joe’s by their size but more by their articulation, I mainly focused an getting figures that had realistic looking uniforms and equipment (at this point a major seed was sewn) and swapped out parts between what was available to make up a small 6 man force. By the start of 90’s I had more or less abandoned the Joe’s as plastic scale modelling and photography (and not to mention the opposite sex) now consumed most of my time and money.

Late in the 90’s I lamented selling off my 1/32 scale Britains and Airfix stuff so much so that for a short period I tried to rebuild my collection, frustrated with not being able to find many of the things I was seeking, I also built up a collection of 1/32 farm vehicles, only to realise that this scale was somehow missing the mark. (some of the stuff I got has been sold off on eBay to support my XD, yet a lot of it is in storage waiting a new home).

I believe that the lack of any articulation in the 1/32nd scale figures was the main reason for my disappointment and abandoning of this scale, the thought of returning to the Joe’s was contemplated but having all but disappeared from the market and their overall lack of realism (which I also craved) found me wondering the plastic wilderness, however while re-considering the Joe angle on the Internet I stumbled across some sites that where using the old 12 inch Joe’s to make what looked to be fine looking German figures. At about the same time 21stCT released the their 1/6th Vietnam figure line which got me interested but it was not until the release of their US Modern figures that I was finally hooked, even though they could not be found locally I began to build a very small collection including some vehicles the first these being a Schwimmwagen and the Mutt / Trailer combo, then Dragon hit the scene and was available locally and my collection of Wehrmacht and Modern US forces War Barbies grew to embarrassing proportions.

Then a fellow 1/6th collector showed me some 1/18 stuff he had got recently that had just been released in the States under the XD label, he had the P51D, Bf-109E, Kubelwagen, Jeep, Sherman and a Panther. I must admit at the time I was so into 1/6th that the idea of going down scaling seemed silly and although the armour was intriguing and the Bf-109 very tempting the P51D which I felt at the time was far too toy like left me felling that 1/6th was still the way to go, especially seeing that none of this smaller scale stuff was available locally, while new 1/6th scale releases were popping up everywhere. I did decide however to keep a lazy eye on this apparent 21stCT side track! (Seeing that this was so obviously going to be a short lived line).

During my initial 1/6th days the Green Leader 1/6th site was one of my regular haunts and every now and then these small scale freaks from the Ground Pounder site would post some 1/18th scale stuff in the galleries but I still yet to be convinced. Some time later in the late 90’s while on a trip in Germany I saw my first 1/18th Corsair and was quite impressed with how far 21stCT had come from the toy like P51D and when I returned home I decided to investigate this new GI Joe scale stuff a little further, remembering those Ground Pounder images I quickly found a link to the old GPXD site, where I saw for the first time the S1 Stuka and the promise of what appeared to be the completed prototype of an A-10 in 1/18th scale, within two months I had two S1 Ju-87’s to start off my XD collection, but strangely I’m still appear to be waiting for that A-10!?!

Although 1/18th is mostly still unavailable locally I have since more or less ceased to expand my 1/6th collection and concentrated mainly on the 1/18th side of things, in many cases having to play catch up on the many of releases that I missed, so thank goodness for repaints and eBay and this site and it’s members!

In the end it would appear that 1/18th scale may well have been niche scale I was always searching for, it’s not so much an addiction or a sickness, but more like a way of life!
SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????