My contest entry

Your Main Forum For Discussing 1:18 Scale Military Figures and Vehicles.
TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

My contest entry

Post by TOOL » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:32 am

Here is my entry to the contest. I don't have the best camera but it does the job

[url] http://community.webshots.com/user/tool77
:wink:

kenhil2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by kenhil2 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:23 am

thats great, although the one shot makes it look like the guy is balancing on the edge of the world,

http://community.webshots.com/photo/101 ... 2441yFcydf

but this contest is really bringing out some great dio work, what did you use for the water, actual water or what?
...ken

Semper Fi

"if you haven't been there, shut the f@#k up"

Razor17019
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Razor17019 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:53 am

WOW!
What a nice dio!
The water and sky look so real. The plants make a nice touch.

In your other pics, did you create or buy the large buildings??
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

Morian Miner

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:49 am

That is a very nice dio. I like the way you did the beach scenery.

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

answers

Post by TOOL » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:42 am

To make the water I used envyrotex which you can pick up at any craft store, it is thicker so you can add depth which is a nice effect.

THe buildings in the other photos were scratch made, they are made out of boxes, foam board, wood and plaster. I just finished a large bridge which I need to post here soon.

macvsog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by macvsog » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:37 am

okay tool-

first, your collection is nuts!

second, for the water you used envyrotex, can you remove the figures from this or are they now a permanet part of the dio? if you can remove them, does it mark them at all?

third, what did you make the rest out of? is it juts glued down sand? because i doesn't look like it and if it is wow.

but what did you use for the sand etc.

thanks

-mike-

M4Sherman
Corporal
Corporal

Post by M4Sherman » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:06 am

Wow, very impressive. It looks so realistic. And i second what macvsog said what a collection!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:52 pm

Very nice! I think we have another winner - and my entry is looking all the more pathetic :P

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

i tip my hat to you Tool!

Post by 75th Ranger » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:41 pm

really good work!
you need to make a forum secession on how to make dioramas...
i would like to learn more on the water creation..especially if the figurres can be placed and removed as one's desire.
Also a class on the building creation would be great.
in regards to your collection, i have to say that i have amounts like yours in mine....but i don't do Joe's....i only used for scratch building...hahahha!
i had to move my stuff to the garage because of all the stuff i have...no i ocuppy 3/4 of the garage and i wish i could have even more space for more dioramas....i like using hurrican panels..8' * 4' ....for mi dioramas.
well keep up the great work,
HOOAH!

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:47 pm

I am really impressed. Nice work.

How long have you been collecting the GI Joe Cobra stuff. It looks like the one's I had as a kid. What a cobra army! How many total? It looked like a full company!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

compfire
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by compfire » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:15 pm

Excellent job Tool. Nice collection too (think you have enough 21c Tiger tanks?) I too would like to hear how you pu together the diorama and build some the buildings.

TOOL
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dioram process

Post by TOOL » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:55 pm

Thanks for all of your comments.
In answer to a few of your questions:

The diorama was made out of a styrofoam base cut and layered to give elevation. I then mixed plaster and paper towels and used this to lay the sloping ground work. I sculpted the plaster with a plastic knife. I then layed the rocks and pushed in the pine needles into the drying plaster to resemble the grass near the water along with the tree stumps. Once the plaster dryed over night I painted it with a red brown and earth colors and the water with blue and green mixture. After several washes and dry brushing. I sprayed adhesive where the sand needed to be and sprinkled small amounts of craft sand around the edges of the water. Since the ground is painted you don't need a whole lot. Then I poured the envyrotex over the water area. I would suggest building up the outside of the diorama so it does not spill of the sides. I learned this from experience. WHile still wet I added my men. I took off one foot for those in the water to add depth but they will be permanent in the display. I would sugges finding an object similar in size and then remove before the solution hardens if you wish to add or remove your soldiers from the display. Only two of my men were fastened, the rest I can remove. THe only expensive stuff to buy was the envyrotex $16 on sale for 2 bottles of mixing agent. I have the best luck when I draw it out on paper first.

THe buildings I have made come from a lack of options with 1/18 scale. I always wanted large buildings that added realism to my models. I have used boxes with craft paper and wood with dollhouse shingles. Spray painted brick patterns on boxes. I have used Christmans village brick patterns for brick buildings which can be weathered and look really good. The most realistic buildings I think are done with plaster and alot of patience. Taking your time and purchasing the longer dry time plaster helps you from making mistakes and gives ou more time to carve and pay attention to the small details that make the difference. I will be posting pics of bridge later tonight.....stay tuned.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:05 pm

Very nice work TOOL!Your shore plants look real.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.